Traditional Scottish Dishes

Nyxi

Veteran
Local time
3:31 PM
I love cooking (and eating) traditional regional dishes, especially from my native Scotland.

Have any of you tried a traditional Scots dish, if so are there any favourites?

My favourite, of course, is a pudding named Cranachan (pronounced kra-nack-an). It's one of my go-to recipes when I have unexpected guests.

Also, I wondered if anyone might like some traditional Scottish recipes shared here? I promise you they're not all fried... or laced with whisky :wink:

my mother brought me up on tattie scones, square sausage and dumpling (served with a fried egg of course).. all main meal dishes but they had to come from a particular butchers shop in Glasgow.

otherwise I know oatcakes, but it is the Staffordshire variety I know, not those rock hard emergency rations that can split rocks!

Even with no Scottish ancestry, I try to make sure we have Haggis, neeps and tatties, followed by Cranachan, on Burns night.

Also, I like oatcakes. Beyond that I don't know a lot of Scottish dishes, but I'm willing to bet I'd like most of them!

I do love dumplings and have always loved them, I've also tried out different recipes with them but I am afraid I don't know any other Scottish recipes.
Do feel free to share some so that those of us who want to give them a go can do so!

I am yet to try the oatcakes again... something just never seems to go right when I attempt making them!

Maybe someone can share a recipe for oatcakes? Those sound like something I might try to make. What is pudding Cranachan?

I don't know much about Scottish foods. Actually in North America there doesn't seem to be much of a presence of any foods from the U.K, now that I think of it.

Maybe someone can share a recipe for oatcakes? Those sound like something I might try to make. What is pudding Cranachan?
Scottish oatcakes are teeth breakers of biscuits... No recipe here yet... I value my teeth too much! :giggle:

Staffordshire oatcakes are similar to chapatti but using yeast...
Recipe can be found www.cookingbites.com/threads/staffordshire-oatcakes.36/#post-205

Cranachan is a simple desert of whipped cream, whisky, honey and fresh raspberries, with toasted oatmeal soaked overnight in a little bit more whisky...
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/648633/cranachan

I love Haggis! I would like to visit Scotland and be able to enjoy the pure stuff.Everything in the U.S. is so regulated! Also tatties are a requirement with Haggis! :D

I will be doing some research on Cranachan. If it's not too complicated, I would love to make it. HAHA! I am not the best cook, but I love to try new things, especially Scottish recipes.

I will be doing some research on Cranachan. If it's not too complicated, I would love to make it. HAHA! I am not the best cook, but I love to try new things, especially Scottish recipes.
Some Scottish food is very simple,if you can whip cream you came make cranachan, and a haggis is boiled and then the skin split and served,the thing about a haggis is the quality and finding a blend you like ,i like one called Mcsween,its good all round haggis not to strong
http://www.macsween.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom