Travel Plans For 2023

I think with me, it’s half age-related and half because of a hellaciously bad travel experience in 2010.

We’ve had plenty of bad experiences before, Ireland 2007 was like the vacation version of Spinal Tap - if it could go wrong, it did, but it only bothered me in the moment, and that was it.

Now, it’s definitely a “I’m too old for this 💩!” feeling when something goes wrong.

At 62 years old, I'm kind of with you, but at the same time, just the opposite.

On one hand, I don't have to be anywhere on time, so if 💩 happens, it happens. On the other hand, I'm even less tolerant of stupidity and laziness than before. These days, that comes into play more with rental cars than airline flights.

Hertz employee: We don't have the car you want.
Me: I reserved this car a month ago.
Hertz employee: We don't have that car.
Me: You already told me that. I paid for a Mercedes, and you are giving me a Toyota Corolla.
Hertz employee: They are both cars, so what's the problem?
Me: I don't want to pay $140 a day for a Corolla.
Hertz employee: I'm trying to text my friends about tonight's dinner plans. Why are you making me work? You are so selfish.
Me: You are 29 and still live with your parents, don't you?
Hertz employee: Yeah, what's wrong with that.

CD

We sail in 2 weeks from today, Barcelona to NYC via Cartegena, The Azores and Bermuda. Really looking forward to being home, even if just for a day, but mainly looking forward to sea days. Things have been so balls to the walls the past few months between work and family stuff that it'll be great to be unplugged and do absolute F*** all to 5 to 7 days. Can't wait for some time together with my wife, eating well, having a few adult beverages and just "be"ing.

Back
Top Bottom