Travel Plans For 2023

As we’re headed home tomorrow morning, a couple of things that I never got around to that made me laugh a little:

Naples (and Rome) still has lots of public telephones on the streets, which was kind of neat. At one, a group of Gen Z kids were taking turns posing with it, pretending to make phone calls. It made me 😊 and 😞 at the same time.

Our all-day tour guide in Rome was excellent. He liked talking about languages, which is something I like (well, playing with words, anyway), and he was making us laugh.

He spoke wonderfully-accented English, very languidly, softly. He said there were three English-speaking places that still gave him trouble:

“Scotland, Ireland…I have trouble with the way they, uh, push their words together. They push them, like three words into one. I can get maybe 75% of what they say, but that’s about it.

“The worst, though…the Australians! I can’t even get 40%. Maybe 30%. They’re…I don’t know what they’re doing. It is a mystery what they say, but they’re nice, they apologize to me, and I tell them, ‘No, it’s your language, don’t apologize, I should apologize!’ But seriously, I had an Australian couple in my car a month ago, maybe, and for 11 hours. 11hours. My brain was sick after that, like I had a brain sweat from listening so hard. I had to take three days off from driving.”

Then we talked a little about other languages, and my favorite, given my honest love of it, was his succinct assessment of the German language (which I truly do love to hear spoken):

“German. The words try to kill you.”

:laugh:
More than South African?!!

I like languages with hard edged pronunciation and I understand what he means completely!
I worked with a German Doc once, her English was great but she couldn‘t understand the great people of Somerset, they tend to string all their words together in one long mumble joined with urr, ere and mmm noises 😆

I was driving down the West side of England, and stopped a bit South of the Liverpool/Manchester area to ask for directions at a petrol station. The young woman cashier told me twice how to get to where I was wanting to go. I had NO idea what she was saying. I went back to the car, and my wife asked if I got the directions... "No."

CD

As we’re headed home tomorrow morning, a couple of things that I never got around to that made me laugh a little:

Naples (and Rome) still has lots of public telephones on the streets, which was kind of neat. At one, a group of Gen Z kids were taking turns posing with it, pretending to make phone calls. It made me 😊 and 😞 at the same time.

Our all-day tour guide in Rome was excellent. He liked talking about languages, which is something I like (well, playing with words, anyway), and he was making us laugh.

He spoke wonderfully-accented English, very languidly, softly. He said there were three English-speaking places that still gave him trouble:

“Scotland, Ireland…I have trouble with the way they, uh, push their words together. They push them, like three words into one. I can get maybe 75% of what they say, but that’s about it.

“The worst, though…the Australians! I can’t even get 40%. Maybe 30%. They’re…I don’t know what they’re doing. It is a mystery what they say, but they’re nice, they apologize to me, and I tell them, ‘No, it’s your language, don’t apologize, I should apologize!’ But seriously, I had an Australian couple in my car a month ago, maybe, and for 11 hours. 11hours. My brain was sick after that, like I had a brain sweat from listening so hard. I had to take three days off from driving.”

Then we talked a little about other languages, and my favorite, given my honest love of it, was his succinct assessment of the German language (which I truly do love to hear spoken):

“German. The words try to kill you.”

:laugh:

Scottish spoken word is same as swahili to me.

Russ

Apart from cooking and HR, I've taught English as a foreign language all my life. Language is one of my hobbies and pleasures. I just love it.
Two anecdotes which still make me laugh, both from 2001.
We were in Islay, off the Scottish coast, my dad and I on the top deck of the ferry, waiting to go back to the mainland. Below decks, there were two sailors talking.
"Dyara ginna whiet anga duli widya yariflin?"
" Eiska mornay haska wanda schnikelflon!"
"Aye!"
Aye was all we understood!
Then back in Maidstone, we went up to my local, the place where I almost lived as a young man. 20 years in Caracas, teaching English and conversing with Texans, Tennessee natives, blokes from Oklahoma, and my "English" accent had modified.
Went up to the bar and said " 2 pints of bitter and a prosecco please, mate"
Barman said " Wow! How interesting to have an Australian here"
I said "Sod you, I was born 100 yards down the road!"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And now the “bad” ones (so bad, you gotta laugh!):

3. We ate at the buffet tonight, partly because it was Bavarian Night, and partly because we didn’t want a full meal, just a little of this and that.

Walking through, looking things over, I got to the pastry/dessert area, and at one end, they had a little display set up of chocolate chip cookies on the left and right, and in the middle, a platter of the blackest brownies I’ve ever seen. To quote Nigel Tufnel, “It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.” :laugh:

Anyway, I was heading down the floor toward the treats when a woman suddenly entered from the side, carrying a plate of food.

She looked at the delectables, did a double-take, stopped, reached with her paw, past the tongs that were there for that exact purpose, and grabbed a brownie.

But wait, there’s more.

She turned the brownie over a couple of times, giving it a critical stare, then took a bite, considered it…then sat it back down on the platter and zoomed away!

I came right in behind her, grabbed that one and two it was sitting on, pulled them off the platter, then gave them to an attendant to toss.
Unbelievable. Could you tell where she was from?

Unbelievable. Could you tell where she was from?
No, not really. Interesting side note - the head of the dining staff gave a little talk, and he started with Princess on the original “Love Boat,” decades ago.

He said on that cruise, there were just over 600 passengers, and they were all either US or Canadian, with just a few British. That was it.

This cruise, over 3500 passengers representing 42 nationalities!

It is one of my favourite things about motorcycle travel when you are setting off in unfamiliar territory to an unknown destination on your tod with only yourself to rely on. It gives me a type of excitement that I can really only ever recall in childhood.

I related to that. Not that I ever had a motorcycle.... but that childhood feeling.

Sitting in JFK now. With Global Entry and TSA pre-check, it was an easy arrival - barely had to show ID.

The day hasn’t been worry-free, though; firstly, we were delayed about an hour taking off from Rome due to high winds, and that made us late into JFK, but then the flight to Cincy was delayed (that’s what we’re waiting to board now), but not before Delta proactively put us on a morning flight tomorrow, so MrsT had to jump through some hoops to get our seats back on tonight’s delayed flight, but we should be good.

Since I started out talking about all the anxiety I get on transfer days when traveling, I thought I’d close out my vacation stories with a list of the things that had me sweating:

1. Made it to the Cincy airport fine…no issues in NYC…landed in Barcelona, and our private driver was nowhere to be seen.

Walked up and down the row of drivers with their placards, up and down, a third time, nothing for us.

MrsT dug out the local phone number for the service, but had trouble dialing and getting connected, so I had a couple of tries at it and just as someone picked up the phone…there he was. He’d been standing there the whole time, just had the wrong name on his paper.

That wasted 30 minutes or so, sheer terror, but the rest of the night went fine. Funny end of that one - we each tipped the driver separately, so I’m sure he was thrilled.

2. Transfer from hotel to ship was easy. Our first shore excursion, though, they never gave me a ticket, just MrsT, so we assumed we were both on the same ticket, so when we went to leave the ship, that caused some panic.

3. Genoa - they bumped up the departure time for that shore excursion, but we didn’t know, so when we went down to check in to leave, they were already loaded and about to pull out, so we got scolded for that.

4. Corfu - just the earlier confusion at being kidnapped for seven hours. :laugh:

5. Got separated from the tour guide for several minutes in Taormina because it was ridiculously crowded and he was panicking about the crowd size himself.

6. Naples - after my tour ended, the tour guide said that anyone wanting to stay in town, that was fine, but for anyone wanting to head back to the ship, he’d walk us back, and I opted to go back to the ship. I turned around for just a couple of minutes, seeing if there was a bank where we were, and the guide had hot-footed it out and I lost him.

I worked my own way back to the shop and caught up to him exactly at the same time he was saying goodbye to the other people, so that was a little stressful. I asked him if there was a bank nearby and he said, “Yeah…over there,” and sort of half-assedly waved off in a general direction. That wasted a bunch of time, and I just ended up using my phone to find a bank, which is what I should have done in the first place, so that’s on me.

7. Getting off the ship and transferring to a hotel in Rome - I already covered the exercise in futility that was, but our driver was waiting just off the gangway, so the rest of the day went off fine, as did our second day in Rome, and our journey to the airport the morning after that.

8. Got on the plane in Rome and…sat. For about 45 minutes, we had to wait on other aircraft to take off, because of high winds. Everyone had to take off in a certain direction. That wasn’t fun.

9. That delayed us into NYC, and Delta went ahead and booked us on a morning flight, even though our original flight for that evening was only delayed, not cancelled, so MrsT had to really scramble to get our seats back before they assigned them to someone else. More stress!

10. Made it to Cincy, finally. Then, we couldn’t find the long-term parking slip we had, showing where the car was parked. We knew where we were parked, physically, but we didn’t know the name of the lot, so we had to google that, so we could get on the right shuttle. Fine, got that sorted.

11. The long-term lot installed new ticketing machines just before we left, and instead of a paper ticket showing your punch-in time, you have to stick in a credit card, it reads it, then use the same card when you exit.

We have one metal credit card, and that’s the one we used - I even told MrsT: “Remember, metal ticket machine=metal card. That’s how we’ll remember.”

With all the delays, we’d been up something like 20 hours at that point, and just wanted to get home. We got the car, headed for the exit…”Insert same credit card as used when entering…,” did that…”This card cannot be used…Insert same credit card as used when entering…”

Automated lot, so no attendant. Great… 😒

Got out all our credit cards, went back, tried them one after the other, same response - ”Insert same credit card as used when entering…”. ARRRGHH!!!

They had a phone number to call, called that, took 12 rings for someone to pick up, and then I ran through all our credit cards with her, and…it was the metal card, first one I tried, that was the right card.

“Go back and try it again, I’ll see it pop up here.”

Went back, stuck it in again, nothing.

“Jiggle it a little.”

Jiggled it a little, nothing.

“Ok, hold on…now jiggle it again.”

Jiggled it again, it worked. Son of a bi…! 😠

“Yeah, sometimes, ya jus’ gotta try a few times. Technology, huh?”

That took a good 30 minutes to escape.

So there you go - several things that pegged the ol’ Anxiety-O-Meter up to 11.

Since I started out talking about all the anxiety I get on transfer days when traveling, I thought I’d close out my vacation stories with a list of the things that had me sweating:

1. Made it to the Cincy airport fine…no issues in NYC…landed in Barcelona, and our private driver was nowhere to be seen.

Walked up and down the row of drivers with their placards, up and down, a third time, nothing for us.

MrsT dug out the local phone number for the service, but had trouble dialing and getting connected, so I had a couple of tries at it and just as someone picked up the phone…there he was. He’d been standing there the whole time, just had the wrong name on his paper.

That wasted 30 minutes or so, sheer terror, but the rest of the night went fine. Funny end of that one - we each tipped the driver separately, so I’m sure he was thrilled.

2. Transfer from hotel to ship was easy. Our first shore excursion, though, they never gave me a ticket, just MrsT, so we assumed we were both on the same ticket, so when we went to leave the ship, that caused some panic.

3. Genoa - they bumped up the departure time for that shore excursion, but we didn’t know, so when we went down to check in to leave, they were already loaded and about to pull out, so we got scolded for that.

4. Corfu - just the earlier confusion at being kidnapped for seven hours. :laugh:

5. Got separated from the tour guide for several minutes in Taormina because it was ridiculously crowded and he was panicking about the crowd size himself.

6. Naples - after my tour ended, the tour guide said that anyone wanting to stay in town, that was fine, but for anyone wanting to head back to the ship, he’d walk us back, and I opted to go back to the ship. I turned around for just a couple of minutes, seeing if there was a bank where we were, and the guide had hot-footed it out and I lost him.

I worked my own way back to the shop and caught up to him exactly at the same time he was saying goodbye to the other people, so that was a little stressful. I asked him if there was a bank nearby and he said, “Yeah…over there,” and sort of half-assedly waved off in a general direction. That wasted a bunch of time, and I just ended up using my phone to find a bank, which is what I should have done in the first place, so that’s on me.

7. Getting off the ship and transferring to a hotel in Rome - I already covered the exercise in futility that was, but our driver was waiting just off the gangway, so the rest of the day went off fine, as did our second day in Rome, and our journey to the airport the morning after that.

8. Got on the plane in Rome and…sat. For about 45 minutes, we had to wait on other aircraft to take off, because of high winds. Everyone had to take off in a certain direction. That wasn’t fun.

9. That delayed us into NYC, and Delta went ahead and booked us on a morning flight, even though our original flight for that evening was only delayed, not cancelled, so MrsT had to really scramble to get our seats back before they assigned them to someone else. More stress!

10. Made it to Cincy, finally. Then, we couldn’t find the long-term parking slip we had, showing where the car was parked. We knew where we were parked, physically, but we didn’t know the name of the lot, so we had to google that, so we could get on the right shuttle. Fine, got that sorted.

11. The long-term lot installed new ticketing machines just before we left, and instead of a paper ticket showing your punch-in time, you have to stick in a credit card, it reads it, then use the same card when you exit.

We have one metal credit card, and that’s the one we used - I even told MrsT: “Remember, metal ticket machine=metal card. That’s how we’ll remember.”

With all the delays, we’d been up something like 20 hours at that point, and just wanted to get home. We got the car, headed for the exit…”Insert same credit card as used when entering…,” did that…”This card cannot be used…Insert same credit card as used when entering…”

Automated lot, so no attendant. Great… 😒

Got out all our credit cards, went back, tried them one after the other, same response - ”Insert same credit card as used when entering…”. ARRRGHH!!!

They had a phone number to call, called that, took 12 rings for someone to pick up, and then I ran through all our credit cards with her, and…it was the metal card, first one I tried, that was the right card.

“Go back and try it again, I’ll see it pop up here.”

Went back, stuck it in again, nothing.

“Jiggle it a little.”

Jiggled it a little, nothing.

“Ok, hold on…now jiggle it again.”

Jiggled it again, it worked. Son of a bi…! 😠

“Yeah, sometimes, ya jus’ gotta try a few times. Technology, huh?”

That took a good 30 minutes to escape.

So there you go - several things that pegged the ol’ Anxiety-O-Meter up to 11.

You would have never survived the last 15 years of my work life, where I travelled about 120-150 days a year.

On a regular basis, I'd go somewhere and expect to fly back home, only to have my biggest customer call me and tell me to stay there, because they may need me to go somewhere else. I'd sit in the airport not knowing where I was going next. I missed connections every few months, which threw my whole work schedule out of whack. Rental car reservations sometimes got messed up. There was some kind of glitch every week.

I had everything worked out for DFW airport... like clockwork. I had a NTTA Tolltag for the many toll roads in Dallas, and that worked for airport parking, too. Drive in, drive out, charged straight to my NTTA account... at a reduced rate, too.

After a while, I worked out systems for dealing with problems, and I kind of get numb to the anxiety. When a new glitch came up, I got to where I'd just think, "Well, I haven't seen THAT one before."

CD

You would have never survived the last 15 years of my work life, where I travelled about 120-150 days a year.
I think with me, it’s half age-related and half because of a hellaciously bad travel experience in 2010.

We’ve had plenty of bad experiences before, Ireland 2007 was like the vacation version of Spinal Tap - if it could go wrong, it did, but it only bothered me in the moment, and that was it.

Now, it’s definitely a “I’m too old for this 💩!” feeling when something goes wrong.

I spent more than 36 hours in O'Hare / Newark airports over the New Year, due to flight cancellations, flight delays and the most appalling, arrogant service from United I could possibly imagine.
No point getting nervous about it (although a couple of United staff, incuding the captain, did get a mouthful) because there's nothing you can do about it. If you can't control or influence a situation, what's the point of getting all worked up ?

Back
Top Bottom