Trendy Foods: Should We Love Them or Hate Them?

My collection of "tupperwares" are a testimony of how much ice cream I used to eat.
They are handy when I send food to my parents though, they never return the containers and often lose them,
The deli meat I buy (mainly as a treat for the dog) comes in reusable plastic containers. I must have about 50, and they're perfect for sending home with someone because they're sturdy enough to not come apart or spill anything, but flimsy enough that you don't care if you ever get it back or not.

We don't have nice little container shops here. Any empty jars are generally very plain. Online may be different, though.

I like the shapes of the different glass jars for mustard, yogurt, sauces, that sort of thing, and you get an appropriate lid for them as well.

The last time we were in England, I kept going to the Sainsbury's up the road and buying yogurt and jams, relishes and whatnot, mainly for the jars.

Generally, here, all the yogurt pots are plastic, and I nearly peed my pants with excitement when Yoplait introduced yogurt in cute little fat-bottomed jars...until I realized they didn't come with reusable lids, just the pull-off foil ones.

A lot of internet searching turned up some rubbery lids from Germany that fit the Yoplait jars exactly, so I ordered some of those through Amazon, and I've since noticed that you can buy them through Yoplait's website now.

Yes, yogurt in jars are a thing of the past here as well, some expensive high end brands do carry them but with pull-off foil lids.

There is a small sustainability movement here in Portugal but we're starting to see more and more bulk grocery stores and since you're supposed to bring your own containers you can easily find cute mason jars being sold everywhere.

Personally I'm trying to diminish how much plastic waste I generate and the yogurts I eat are a big offender since I eat 2-3 each day, I'm still trying to make my own homemade yogurt but the gods of fermentation want nothing to do with me.

...and another thing: it drives me absolutely bonkers when I see a menu in my area that references "beef burgers."

I get that it's different around the world, and that's fine, doesn't irritate me one bit, but around here, "burger," means a burger made from beef. It's the default. Ya don't need to specify any further.

If you're selling pork burgers...you need to call it a pork burger, and the same with chicken or bean/veg, whatever; with beef, that's not necessary, and is redundant.

Once, when I was in a particularly bad mood, I asked the waitperson at just such a place why the chicken noodle soup wasn't further explained as "chicken noodle soup, made with chicken and noodles," since they felt the need to say "beef burger," on a menu where those were the only burgers they offered (ones made of beef).

You've opened the floodgates... NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :mad:

:laugh:
1598030106691.png

I've been known to buy things I'd never eat, just to have the little container. :)

I have bought brands of things for the container, but I'd actually was going to get that item anyway - but it might have been another brand. Had a small collection of little juice glasses for awhile.

You get some interesting savings when you buy containers with food. Like buying ice cream and keeping the boxes as tupperwares :D

That's the good thing about doing take out at Chinese restaurants. I always wanted a big container of Hot and Sour Soup - an item that was usually always good no matter how bad said restaurant might otherwise be. AND I had a good Tupperware-like storage container after!

...and another thing: it drives me absolutely bonkers when I see a menu in my area that references "beef burgers."

I get that it's different around the world, and that's fine, doesn't irritate me one bit, but around here, "burger," means a burger made from beef. It's the default. Ya don't need to specify any further.

If you're selling pork burgers...you need to call it a pork burger, and the same with chicken or bean/veg, whatever; with beef, that's not necessary, and is redundant.

I concur. I haven't gotten testy about it, though. I just roll my eyes.
At any rate, I either call them burgers or hamburgers..... even though there's no ham in 'em. (I think this is accurate, correct me if I'm wrong, but hamburgers got that name from Hamburg, Germany?)

I've made pork burgers (oink-burgers if I'm feeling silly), lamb burgers, goat burgers, veggie burgers. And burgers (or hamburgers). I suppose if I ever grind up ham and turn it into a patty, I'll call it a ham (looong pause) burger.

What was originally in the jar? Says "Fun at your fingertips"?

Once, when I was in a particularly bad mood, I asked the waitperson at just such a place why the chicken noodle soup wasn't further explained as "chicken noodle soup, made with chicken and noodles," since they felt the need to say "beef burger," on a menu where those were the only burgers they offered (ones made of beef).

When you've calmed down a bit, can you talk me through "hamburgers" please? :)

I'm going to catch up a bit here:

First (vinyl) album:

devo_480x480.jpg

Bonus album...first CD (how's that for irony? The first non-vinyl album was from a band called):

DivinylsAlbumcover.jpg

I do like LissaC pointing out super foods: this is really the catch-all for trendiness. Oh, so a particular food that's been around since the dawn of time is so magical that now it's super? Amazing.

I read an article recently that said this:

Nutritionally speaking, there is no such thing as a superfood. The term was coined for marketing purposes to influence food trends and sell products. The food industry bestows the superfood label on nutrient-rich foods with a supposed capacity to positively affect health. Though many foods could be described as super, it’s important to understand that there is no single food that holds the key to good health or disease prevention.

The article goes on to mention things we've always known as being awesome, like garlic, leafy greens, turmeric, and salmon.

Okay...please continue the conversation.

You realise that cheap cuts are very trendy these days Russ?
I have seen such things evolve. Why was filet mignon the ultimate cut of meat, and then people started wanting sirloin, then strip steak, then skirt, then flank. Why? I have no idea. I honestly think what matters most is the preparation, and not the ingredient itself. Personally, I am always happy with a sirloin, It tastes great, and it's usually reasonably priced.

Back
Top Bottom