Trip Advisor

Berties

Guru
Local time
7:05 AM
lots of us eat out a lot or go away and stay and then want to either compliment our experience or complain about what happened,I am not sure if trip advisor is uk based but there must be similar sites across the world,
do you think its a good thing or a bad thing,
it can kill business's if they are bombarded with un constructive complaints,whats are your views and do you use these sites as contributor or use them before you go any where different ?
or is it just a mean way of complaining about not getting our own way

Trip advisor is a good thing providing it is viewed sensibly. We have found some really good nuggets of info regarding holiday destinations as well as restaurants, but you do have to beware of false positive reviews. If a restaurant has some bad but a lot of rave reviews then obviously the rave reviews are false so view it wisely.

I use trip advisor a lot but have noted that there can be abuse. I think you can usually tell when that happens - but only if you read a good percentage of the reviews. Its a difficult thing. There are people who might not appreciate certain kinds of food so they give a negative review, even though the food might be excellent.

A few years ago we went to Paris for the weekend, my husband found a lovely little B&B near the centre of Paris. We had a great time but there were bad reviews on Trip advisor regarding the B&B because it was basic. Well yes, it was near the centre of Paris and only a few Euros a night, what did they expect for that kind of money? I think some people are quite ignorant and expect so much for very little. We were in Thailand this year and 1 of the bad reviews for the resort we stayed at was regarding the crabs on the beach..... apparently that was a bad thing-they were tiny, had they been the size of a dog then yes fine by all means complain about safety. Some people :facepalm:

I have checked Trip Advisor for reviews of hotels before, I try to remember that they are just reviews, so I usually ignore the worst one and ignore the best one and then try to average out the rest of the reviews. Usually you can tell based on the number of reviews how a place is, there tends to be a certain trend in all the reviews but I also try to remember that everyone's expectations and levels of quality differ. When I'm considering a new place to eat, I tend to go to Yelp.com instead of Trip Advisor. So far, most of the reviews have been pretty accurate for all of the restaurants we've tried.

Don't use it - It's too easy for it to be abused both +ve and -ve and food/holidays are much too personal. My standards won't be the same as anyone else's - my taste is different and so is my idea of service. Really it's just another way for people to clog up the internet with meaningless drivel.

Don't use it - It's too easy for it to be abused both +ve and -ve and food/holidays are much too personal. My standards won't be the same as anyone else's - my taste is different and so is my idea of service. Really it's just another way for people to clog up the internet with meaningless drivel.
We always say it's the expectations of the guest and the full experience they receive

Or an alternate to the Comments Book many places used to have.

lots of us eat out a lot or go away and stay and then want to either compliment our experience or complain about what happened,I am not sure if trip advisor is uk based but there must be similar sites across the world,
do you think its a good thing or a bad thing,
it can kill business's if they are bombarded with un constructive complaints,whats are your views and do you use these sites as contributor or use them before you go any where different ?
or is it just a mean way of complaining about not getting our own way
Some have found that it can be a cheap, if not free method, of eating out. Leave a bad review, removing it when you're asked why in return for reduced rates next time, Otherwise it, the review stays.
Some even seem to "make a living" out of doing this.

Some have found that it can be a cheap, if not free method, of eating out. Leave a bad review, removing it when you're asked why in return for reduced rates next time, Otherwise it, the review stays.
Some even seem to "make a living" out of doing this.
As I have a management code for my work one if we suspect this we will get it removed ,we are fighting back
We replied by letter to a complaint once ,not that we get many ,it was a gift to me when I returned from a holiday ,and the idiots published it in their reply it was removed,we proved we had handled the complaint and they were being in constructive,we will slate the reviewer on site and members love this,but theese get removed rapidly

As I have a management code for my work one if we suspect this we will get it removed ,we are fighting back
We replied by letter to a complaint once ,not that we get many ,it was a gift to me when I returned from a holiday ,and the idiots published it in their reply it was removed,we proved we had handled the complaint and they were being in constructive,we will slate the reviewer on site and members love this,but theese get removed rapidly
So long as both sides are able to give their side I don't see why your's should be removed.

So long as both sides are able to give their side I don't see why your's should be removed.
Our company director gets a bee in his bonnet about a complaint, he as he says lets them have it ,some of his replies don't even get put up ,the site is heavily moderated and to this extent they actually do listen

Our company director gets a bee in his bonnet about a complaint, he as he says lets them have it ,some of his replies don't even get put up ,the site is heavily moderated and to this extent they actually do listen
Not as heavily as you might think. Although with recent criticism of the site, they do seem to have a more heavy hand approach to some reviews.

Back
Top Bottom