Tuna Tartare

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
6:49 AM
Every year I try to make my son something fun for dinner. Something different. This year I plan on making him Ahi Tuna Tartare. I am thinking of stacking it on avocado and serving with some kind of pita or chip.

I have googled a few recipe ideas. I figure I would ask here to see what our esteemed cookingbites chefs have done in the past.

Feel free to post your ideas, your recipes, links to your recipes, ect.......

I won't be doing this for a couple of weeks. Jake and his lovely wife are headed to Iceland for 10 days!

The recipes that I have googled make this look pretty easy. I am thinking of pairing it with a ginger sauce. The key in this recipe appears to be "use quality ingredients"!

Thanks in advance,

Bill

An appy we got at a fine dining was tuna on crispy rice cakes. Didn't get the Pic until we both had already grabbed one. It was little round soft and creamy but crispy on outside rice cakes, with a tower of tuna tartare, sitting on a thin glaze of thick sweet soy sauce mixed with a bit of sesame oil, with a garnish of Kewpie mayo and Wasabi mixed together, with a bit of golden tamari drizzled on top of that.

I've made this at home once. Don't have a recipe though. I used slightly over cooked jasmine rice, seasoned well, mixed with an egg roughly to break down the rice. Made balls a little smaller than a half dollar, rolled them in panko that had been whizzed in the food processor to make the bits small, then flattened with a small indentation in the center and then deep fried. I used the same flavorings for the sushi kushi for the tuna part. The rest is self explanatory.

These are little yummy bites of goodness. They were a special the first time we had them. I told Craig i bet the inspiration was a big pot of overcooked rice because it's a very small, high end restaurant and I'm sure the margins are small. They are now on the menu as a regular. Last time we were there, a couple new to the restaurant ordered a second plate of them because they liked them so much.

20220805_181612-jpg.jpg

Then there is sushi kushi. We use Chef Norman Van Aken's recipe. We love this. The shrimp is separate, just in the picture. I googled and don't see the recipe posted. I don't remember it being complicated so I can post if you want or take a picture of cookbook and DM it to you.

20230918_090416.jpg

You'll need a ring mold if you don't have one to stack it. If I remember correctly, the sauce is ginger based and I can eat just the sauce by itself.

Last edited:
The only ingredients I don't have for the tuna marinade is sesame oil and scallions. We made our own sweet chili sauce. I have to say it is pretty damn amazing.

PXL_20230930_133251860.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find sushi grade Tuna anywhere for less than $60's a pound. I need two pounds. I guess I will be changing directions.

Tuna Steaks, Veggie Dumplings, Ginger Rice, and poached scallops in a seasoned butter

I can't find sushi grade Tuna anywhere for less than $60's a pound. I need two pounds. I guess I will be changing directions.

Tuna Steaks, Veggie Dumplings, Ginger Rice, and poached scallops in a seasoned butter

Not s huge tuna fan BUT I have a tin of tuna in the pantry for my once yearly fix of tuna mashed with small chopped onion and mayo. Nice and sloppy but soooooo good. Usually when wifes at work.lol.

Russ

Not s huge tuna fan BUT I have a tin of tuna in the pantry for my once yearly fix of tuna mashed with small chopped onion and mayo. Nice and sloppy but soooooo good. Usually when wifes at work.lol.

Russ
Canned tuna for what DetroitDad is talking about making is not suitable.

Everything was really good. I didn't get a picture of the appetizers. We served cream cheese wontons and veggie spring rolls with a home made sweet chili sauce.

The rice was fantastic. I sautéed grated ginger and garlic in butter and oil. Then I sautéed the rice for a few minutes before adding the water. WOW............It paired really well with the avocado.

I think the best thing about the dish was the sauce underneath the Tuna. The flavor was all over the place, in a good way!

There you go. You need to go to the coasts for reasonably priced seafood. It's fussy here in the Midwest. Your plan sounds like a winner.

Back
Top Bottom