Tupperware Utensils Melting

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
12:38 AM
I am really disappointed. I bought a set of plastic utensils from Tupperware (the actual brand), since I don't like wood all that much (can't be washed in the dishwasher - I've tried, it often comes out with bits of dried food on it, stains, smells, etc), and I'm tired of spending money on cheap plastic utensils that melt in contact with hot pans. Guess what, my Tupperware utensils are one week old and they melted. I used them to stir food on the stovetop and never let them stay inside the pans, they still melted. Each utensil cost me at least 6€ each, and they've melted. I usually like Tupperware's products but I am so disappointed with this. I don't know what my options are since bamboo can't go into the dishwasher either, and silicone is too flexible to be good for stirring. Guess I'm stuck with my old wooden spoons.

I am really disappointed. I bought a set of plastic utensils from Tupperware (the actual brand), since I don't like wood all that much (can't be washed in the dishwasher - I've tried, it often comes out with bits of dried food on it, stains, smells, etc), and I'm tired of spending money on cheap plastic utensils that melt in contact with hot pans. Guess what, my Tupperware utensils are one week old and they melted. I used them to stir food on the stovetop and never let them stay inside the pans, they still melted. Each utensil cost me at least 6€ each, and they've melted. I usually like Tupperware's products but I am so disappointed with this. I don't know what my options are since bamboo can't go into the dishwasher either, and silicone is too flexible to be good for stirring. Guess I'm stuck with my old wooden spoons.

I've had better luck with silicone utensils, although I don't like any spatulas other than stainless steel. Everything else is too thick, and food sticks to it. Flipping an egg with plastic or silicone spatulas just ruins the egg.

But, other wise, silicone works, and does NOT melt.

I have two of this brand of spoons, and love them. Core is the brand name.

1704894765385.png

CD

I've had better luck with silicone utensils, although I don't like any spatulas other than stainless steel. Everything else is too thick, and food sticks to it. Flipping an egg with plastic or silicone spatulas just ruins the egg.

But, other wise, silicone works, and does NOT melt.

I have two of this brand of spoons, and love them. Core is the brand name.

View attachment 109028

CD
My issue with silicone is that the tips are often too bendable and not practical to mix food. Tupperware actually has some nice silicone spatulas but their shape and size are unpractical to mix food with.

I don't think I've seen that brand in Portugal. It's not available on Amazon Spain either.

My issue with silicone is that the tips are often too bendable and not practical to mix food. Tupperware actually has some nice silicone spatulas but their shape and size are unpractical to mix food with.

I don't think I've seen that brand in Portugal. It's not available on Amazon Spain either.

That's what I like about the Core silicone spoons, they are firm enough at the tip. I'm sure there are other brands that are pretty much the same.

CD

That's what I like about the Core silicone spoons, they are firm enough at the tip. I'm sure there are other brands that are pretty much the same.

CD
Yes, I'll need to go some of the "fancy" kitchen stores here and check for myself. The cheap ones I've been using are too bendy at the tip.

Yes, I'll need to go some of the "fancy" kitchen stores here and check for myself. The cheap ones I've been using are too bendy at the tip.

I have a black silicone spoon that is bendy at the tip, and it is fine for things like scrambled eggs. I like the firmer ones for cooking firmer foods.

CD

Don't know if you have them, but we have some metal handle, black hard nylon or silicone utensils, including spoons, from Sur La Table. They weren't cheap, better part of $20 each, but they don't bend or melt.

Don't know if you have them, but we have some metal handle, black hard nylon or silicone utensils, including spoons, from Sur La Table. They weren't cheap, better part of $20 each, but they don't bend or melt.
Thanks, I'll look for those.

Agree about nylon and silicone utensils.
I dishwasher all my wooden utensils and they are fine.
Just had count up and out of the eight I have only one warped in the dishwasher, I keep that warped one because it’s warped in a very useful way 😆

Manufacturers don’t want you complaining about their products getting damaged in the dishwasher when in reality most of them are fine. Even the cheapy Tala wooden ones are ok.

But you still have to rinse these off or dishwasher them straight away because the food will cement itself on there.

What is that? I use a really cheap nylon (or is it silicone) fish slice. Why is it called a fish slice? Is it called that in other countries?
Fish slice is old language, a stupid name for a utensil IMO but probably from it’s original use. This one (the centre utensil) is named a ‘slotted turner’ a far more sensible name 😆
IMG_1999.jpeg

I see OXO have a couple of nice ones, I have my eye on the silicone pancake turner, will be good for turning fish 😆

IMG_2001.jpeg

Last edited:
My wooden spoons are about 30 years old.

Russ

Fish slice is old language, a stupid name for a utensil IMO but probably from it’s original use. This one (the centre utensil) is named a ‘slotted turner’ a far more sensible name 😆
View attachment 109034

I see OXO have a couple of nice ones, I have my eye on the silicone pancake turner, will be good for turning fish 😆

View attachment 109035

I have that exact pancake "turner." It's okay... I rarely use it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom