Turducken & other animals stuffed into other animals

It might have changed since I Iast had a three bird roast but in never involved turkey. It was always a much gamier affair and due to the long cook time drying the outer bird it was always goose.
Goose is still popular here at Christmas.
A lot of people still don't like turkey, probably because back in the day it was stuffed and cooked into submission leaving behind blotting paper masquerading as meat 😂

It might have changed since I Iast had a three bird roast but in never involved turkey. It was always a much gamier affair and due to the long cook time drying the outer bird it was always goose.
Goose is still popular here at Christmas.
A lot of people still don't like turkey, probably because back in the day it was stuffed and cooked into submission leaving behind blotting paper masquerading as meat 😂

The only geese I have ever eaten have been ones I've dispatched myself at 6AM in a bitter cold marsh with a shotgun. They are pretty lean, so they can dry out easier than farmed geese. I've only purchased and cooked on farmed duck, and I guarantee that duck was NEVER able to fly. I only cooked/ate wild ducks, that once again, I hunted. Very different animal.

The Turducken was originally from a Cajun meat market in SW Louisiana. Chef Paul Prudhomme in New Orleans popularized it first, then Emeril Legasse gave it a revival with his FoodTV shows.

It turned up in England a few years after it appeared in NOLA. I don't know how the name changed.

CD

The only geese I have ever eaten have been ones I've dispatched myself at 6AM in a bitter cold marsh with a shotgun. They are pretty lean, so they can dry out easier than farmed geese. I've only purchased and cooked on farmed duck, and I guarantee that duck was NEVER able to fly. I only cooked/ate wild ducks, that once again, I hunted. Very different animal.

The Turducken was originally from a Cajun meat market in SW Louisiana. Chef Paul Prudhomme in New Orleans popularized it first, then Emeril Legasse gave it a revival with his FoodTV shows.

It turned up in England a few years after it appeared in NOLA. I don't know how the name changed.

CD
The turkey version may have turned up later but the goose version of bird in a bird.. I just can't keep typing that 😆 dates back Tudor times in the UK and has been in use at banquets/celebrations ever since.

I saw the wikipedia page on it and was surprised/horrified how its history has been obliterated, completely overwritten with non-sense. Thats the price we pay for free information I suppose!

The turkey version may have turned up later but the goose version of bird in a bird.. I just can't keep typing that 😆 dates back Tudor times in the UK and has been in use at banquets/celebrations ever since.

I saw the wikipedia page on it and was surprised/horrified how its history has been obliterated, completely overwritten with non-sense. Thats the price we pay for free information I suppose!

Well, of course we murcans HAD to have copied it from the UK. :rolleyes:

CD

Well it's more to do with the unreliability of the sources we use. It is a fact that Bird in a bird in a bird has been in existence in the UK since Tudor times yet it would be hard to garner that from wikipedia.

The majority of Americans are descended from Europeans, a very large proportion being English so it would be rather strange if all recipes and food traditions were simply left behind.

It's as American as Apple Pi... 😂

Last edited:
I think John Madden had as much to do with popularizing it among the masses here. 🏆 🏈

It is a fact that Bird in a bird in a bird has been in existence in the UK since Tudor times
Yep, I remember touring the kitchens at Hampton Court, and they mentioned stuffing about anything into anything else, like a lamb stuffed in a boar stuffed in a deer - it was something of a fad.

Back
Top Bottom