Turducken & other animals stuffed into other animals

Well it's more to do with the unreliability of the sources we use. It is a fact that Bird in a bird in a bird has been in existence in the UK since Tudor times yet it would be hard to garner that from wikipedia.

The majority of Americans are descended from Europeans, a very large proportion being English so it would be rather strange if all recipes and food traditions were simply left behind.

It's as American as Apple Pi... 😂

Doing some additional research, some version of a bird stuffed bird goes back to Roman times. I seriously doubt that anyone copied anyone. It is the kind of novelty dish that was probably invented separately a hundred times -- or more.

I knew this history of the Turducken because of my interest in Cajun foods, and because my ex-wife was a huge Emeril fan. I learned about it watching Emeril Live with her.

Yes, there is a history of European inspired foods in the US, but we Murcans do occasionally do something original, although it is usually something trivial like, oh... walk on the moon, or invent the mobile cell phone.

We are WAY off-topic. Sorry SomeStrangeMan. :facepalm:

CD

I think John Madden had as much to do with popularizing it among the masses here. 🏆 🏈

John Madden created the Six Leg Turkey.

1700346083660.png

Nobody outside the US will have any idea what we are talking about. John Madden???

CD

Yes, there is a history of European inspired foods in the US, but we Murcans do occasionally do something original, although it is usually something trivial like, oh... walk on the moon, or invent the mobile cell phone.

I'm at a loss to the relevance of this. I was simply pointing out the vagaries of unreliable resources and how much we are likely to share food wise given a common heritage.
Whilst we're on what feels like dodgy ground perhaps you can clear something up for me. Is "Murcans" or 'Merica' or any of those derivatives considered insulting? I don't quite understand the edge it seems to have on it. It used to be used affectionally here but it seems to have changed?

Depends on the context (and who’s saying it), it can either be endearing or extremely offensive.

Yeah, it is one of those things we Americans can say about ourselves, and it's funny. When other people say it, it can raise some eyebrows, and not necessarily in a good way.

CD

Well, I see MG left the keys to the mod-copter with TR. 🚁:laugh:

CD

Yeah, it is one of those things we Americans can say about ourselves, and it's funny. When other people say it, it can raise some eyebrows, and not necessarily in a good way.

CD
Like so many other things, it’s become a political buzzword, and even American to American, it’s become troublesome, as it frequently gets used as a derogatory term toward someone a person sees as too conservative - kind of like speaking in an exaggerated southern accent in order to imply that people from the (American) South are stupid and “linguistically challenged.”

The flip side is, of course, some folks who are politically conservative say it about themselves as an honorable descriptive, the same way some people (both sides) here (meaning the US) use the term “real America(n),” to differentiate from anyone who doesn’t think about the country the same way they do.

I work with someone…they refer to it as “the M-word,” because more and more, it seems to be used as a disparaging label…by and for both sides. It’s crazy.

Like so many other things, it’s become a political buzzword, and even American to American, it’s become troublesome, as it frequently gets used as a derogatory term toward someone a person sees as too conservative - kind of like speaking in an exaggerated southern accent in order to imply that people from the (American) South are stupid and “linguistically challenged.”

The flip side is, of course, some folks who are politically conservative say it about themselves as an honorable descriptive, the same way some people (both sides) here (meaning the US) use the term “real America(n),” to differentiate from anyone who doesn’t think about the country the same way they do.

I work with someone…they refer to it as “the M-word,” because more and more, it seems to be used as a disparaging label…by and for both sides. It’s crazy.

If I use my Texas accent in NYC, people deduct 20 points from my IQ. :laugh: I'm used to that. But, I can turn it on and off, and sometimes it is fun to turn on. I took my lizard skin cowboy boots to NYC on one of my many trips there. I wore them into a pub with a pair of Wranglers and a starched button-down shirt. I made some new friends. I was entertainment, they wanted to hear me talk. People bought me beers. Did they respect me? I don't care. I had fun, they had fun, and I got free beer. I'd love to walk into a London pub in my new Ostrich skin boots, a pair of Wranglers and a George Straight starched shirt. I bet it would be a hoot.

I'm proud of a lot of Murcan Foods, and not so proud of Murcans who are willfully ignorant.. and proud of that. I'm sure those latter people can be found in most countries.

CD

Ah I see. I shall avoid it then, shame to lose a term of endearment but if that’s what it’s become then heyho.
It sound‘s like it’s taken on an edge of stupidity a bit like we’d use the word ‘gammon’ to describe a certain section of society (meaning ignorant and/or angry) but that word has no kind side! Do you have gammons?

I want to try a Trojan pig in a blanket. Pig stuffed with pig wrapped in pig
Justin What’s-His-Face, that “I gay-run-tee it” Cajun character…I watched an episode of his years and years ago, where he stuffed a pork chop with sausage meat and wrapped bacon around it as well - that’s pretty close!

Ah I see. I shall avoid it then, shame to lose a term of endearment but if that’s what it’s become then heyho.
I wouldn’t want you to do that, just to be aware, in case someone gives you a raised eyebrow. There are plenty of people who don’t mind it…it’s sort of like saying Yank.

It’s just the stupid politics of the times.

Justin What’s-His-Face, that “I gay-run-tee it” Cajun character…I watched an episode of his years and years ago, where he stuffed a pork chop with sausage meat and wrapped bacon around it as well - that’s pretty close!

Justin Wilson.

CD

Some guys on yt fried a Kobe steak well done, dried it like beef jerky, blended it and then they covered another Kobe steak with the resulting dust and fried it medium. If you have the money and fantasy you can create crazy foods.

Best legend from the past but absolutely off topic. Some very rich guys from venice 16a.d. invited either the pope or the king of France for lunch. He came into the dining room and found an empty plate, fork, knife, spoon and an empty beautiful cup. After some minutes of pure silence he asked if that’s supposed to be a joke and the waiter just replied: "no sir, the meal is already served, everything on this table is edible". He looked very confused and started with licking the fork, he smiled and continued with eating the whole fork and asked:" how in the world did your chef manage to form sugar into a cup that beautiful? " The waiter answered:" we have enough money."

Back
Top Bottom