Turkey Melt

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
6:11 PM
I had this in a drugstore coffee shop as a kid, and I still make it today:

Basically, it's a grilled cheese sandwich with turkey breast added, except you use can use any cheese (cheddar, provolone, etc). instead of American. Butter your bread, add cheese, add turkey, top with another slice of buttered bread (butter facing outside of course). Cook in skillet over medium heat until bread is golden brown and just crisp. Flip and cook until other side is crisp and golden. Cut into quarters and serve with a sauce such as Thousand Island Dressing or your favorite dipping sauce.

It's fattening, true, but it's a rare treat not an everyday lunch.

These are one of my favorite sandwiches to make on my electric grill. Some variations on these you might be interested in...

- Add some pepper & onion relish, preferably the one they sell at Harry & David. It's sweet and spicy, and tastes amazing with both turkey and cheese.

- Make a turkey rueben. It's basically much like what you described except it's on rye bread (or a pumpernickel rye swirl), and you spread the thousand island dressing inside the sandwich along with swiss cheese and cole slaw. Then butter the outside of the bread and grill it until done.

- a spicy BBQ sauce, fresh red onion and sharp cheddar are also another favorite filling for these.

These sound delicious.

I really need to use my electric grill more often (I generally use it mostly for sandwiches). Now I want to go experiment.

Grilled sandwiches for lunch, anyone?

Back
Top Bottom