Turkey versus Beef

twinsmommy31

Veteran
Local time
8:33 AM
Do you prefer to make your family beef hamburgers or turkey burgers?? Why?

Beefburgers because turkey is pretty boring and needs a lot adding to it to give it any flavour, whereas good beef needs very little.

Beefburgers here too. We aren't too keen on turkey at home and only really cook it at Christmas. I also find turkey brigers to be far too dry and it is difficult to keep them in shape. Give me a great big juicy burger any day!

I prefer beef burgers because it is more tasty. Beef is much more flavorful compared to turkey. I find turkey meat to have a strange smell and really only eat it for Thanksgiving.

I've been buying less and less beef these days due to the rising costs of it, along with how greasy it is. If I go buy it, it's usually just some thin inexpensive chuck steaks or some stew meat, buy one get one free roasts and such. Ground beef for some reason has gotten rather expensive, and considering like a third of it cooks away as fat, I don't always feel like I'm getting the best bang for my buck. I don't mind turkey burgers at all, since they are far less greasy, and most of what you are purchasing per pound is actual meat and not just fat. Plus it's really not that hard to keep them moist while cooking. The problem is that many people simply over cook them. They also over handle them, which produces a very dense patty. All you really need to do is gently incorporate some finely shredded onion, and maybe some fresh herbs herbs like parsley, then carefully form the mixture into patties without mixing and smashing them too much - the meat should still have as much crumbly ground texture as you can retain. Then I brush the exterior with olive oil and season to taste, then grill them. If you learn how to check for done-ness by feeling them rather than cutting into them repeatedly it will also help keep them moist. Finally, as you've probably heard thousands of times, you need to let them rest a bit before serving them.

In general I do prefer ground turkey to beef, but for a burger, beef is much better. Actually a burger is the only thing I like to use ground beef for. Every other recipe I prefer to use ground chicken or turkey. I will use chicken or turkey for meatballs, meatloaf, lasagna, chili, etc. The taste is much lighter and feels a tad healthier than the ground beef.

Ground turkey can make a very tasty burger if you season it right, and it is much better for you. I like to stock up on the ground turkey when it is on sale and make meatballs and turkey burgers with it. When I make turkey burgers, I make an artichoke and pepperchini spread to go on the buns and load the burgers with lots of fresh veggies. The secret to ground turkey is lots of seasoning because it can be rather bland without.

Back
Top Bottom