3 TB flour
1 TB brown sugar
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
Dash of nutmeg

Directions
Preheat oven to 375F and grease an 8-inch square baking dish.

Place turnips in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.

In a small mixing bowl, mash the turnips, then combine with 2 TB butter and the eggs. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; add to turnip mixture and mix well. Transfer to the baking dish. Melt the remaining butter and toss with the bread crumbs, then sprinkle over the top.

Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy of Count Your Blessings, 35th Anniversary St. Timothy Lutheran Church Cookbook (Houston, TX)

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...enge-root-vegetables.23933/page-5#post-295686

What does the brown sugar do, just mellow it out a little? Hopefully it's not a sweet thing. I wonder what if I substituted...ok just kidding.

What does the brown sugar do, just mellow it out a little? Hopefully it's not a sweet thing. I wonder what if I substituted...ok just kidding.
Yeah, it's not sweet at all, it just tamps down that turnip taste, which can be quite strong.

My 'crit' (apologies in advance):

I'm a little puzzled by this recipe. Overall, it seems a very plain recipe without much flavouring. I love turnips very much. Here they are boiled, mashed and mixed with eggs, flour and sugar. Why, I have to ask? Well, you mention above about 'tempering' down the turnip taste. Turnips have a very special taste and I think they are best offset with other bold flavours rather than tamped down.

Also, the title of the recipe is 'Turnip Puff'. I don't seem much 'puff' going on here. Of course, I haven't cooked it or tasted it, so who is to say there isn't some magic here.

I'm a little puzzled by this recipe. Overall, it seems a very plain recipe without much flavouring. I love turnips very much. Here they are boiled, mashed and mixed with eggs, flour and sugar. Why, I have to ask? Well, you mention above about 'tempering' down the turnip taste. Turnips have a very special taste and I think they are best offset with other bold flavours rather than tamped down.

Also, the title of the recipe is 'Turnip Puff'. I don't seem much 'puff' going on here. Of course, I haven't cooked it or tasted it, so who is to say there isn't some magic here.
It puffs up somewhat like a soufflé, due to the egg and baking powder. However, it also deflates pretty quickly, and I got sidetracked before I could take a pic.

It's just a different way to enjoy turnips, that's all...a puffy way.

I think a lot of old-time recipes compiled by home cooks in the US are often simple and compiled with some basic ingredients, but that doesn't make them any less "tasty", does it, Reuben?

I think a lot of old-time recipes compiled by home cooks in the US are often simple and compiled with some basic ingredients, but that doesn't make them any less "tasty", does it, Reuben?
Yeah, it's very good. MrsT just ate the leftovers, and she's generally opposed to leftovers.

It's definitely an old-fashioned recipe, that's for sure. Church supper staple.

Back
Top Bottom