TV - how much do you watch and how many TVs do you have?

Don't get me started on the old days of CRT TVs.
They were incredibly heavy. Professional ones, like Conracs and Shibasokus, were beasts. Twice as heavy as compared to consumer TVs.

I'm looking forward to the days of a flexible thin screen, or maybe even some kind of holographic HUD.

Last edited:
When we bought our CRT TV we couldn't get it out of the box. I was reluctant to tear the box in case there was a fault with the TV. The next day a couple of guys came to service the aircon and we got them to take it out and lift it onto the hi-fi cabinet. It stayed there for the next 14 years without being moved until we bought a new flat screen. We asked the shop to deliver it so we could persuade the delivery folks to remove the old CRT. In fact they gave us ฿1,000.00 (US$ 30.00) for it.

When we bought our first flat screen, it was to replace a 36 or 38 inch old style TV that had a flat screen versus the slightly rounded ones. That thing was HEAVY! We put it in the next garage sale we had and nobody wanted it, even Goodwill type stores didn't want it.

No one wants the fat back tvs even if they work...you don't even see them in the thrifts. They are so heavy, the one in the living room once it warms up makes the picture have a rolling wave of static roll thru the screen and then eventually it whole screen is static tho the sound is crystal clear.

Technology has come such a long way in about the last 50 years. I removed all the switch plates and outlet plates when I painted the bedroom, and I found an old flat wire antenna that probably went up to the roof at one time. my grandmother's TV had actual glass tubes. She called the TV repairman, and he found a family of mice living in the Box. I still remember when there was no remote control. You had to get up to change the channel.

Last edited:
We have two TV's. We probably watch to much. That's what I like to do in the evening. We watch more TV in the winter than in the summer/spring for obvious reasons.

No one wants the fat back tvs even if they work...you don't even see them in the thrifts. They are so heavy, the one in the living room once it warms up makes the picture have a rolling wave of static roll thru the screen and then eventually it whole screen is static tho the sound is crystal clear.

The sound on our CRT was very good but the picture was crap. With the new flat screen it's the opposite - which is why I've redirected the audio through the hi-fi.

The only time I watch the lounge TV is when Formula 1 racing is transmitted.

That's not strictly correct - I use the TV as a monitor to sort/play music from a USB stick.

TV monitor s.jpg

The sound on our CRT was very good but the picture was crap. With the new flat screen it's the opposite - which is why I've redirected the audio through the hi-fi.

I'm not sure why it is happening but the receiver is overheating (and automatically cutting out) when transmitting sound from the TV. I've solved the problem to an extent by using a laptop fan on top of the unit. It obtains power from a USB port on the TV.

Denon receiver fan s.jpg

My TV feels warm when I walk past it. Is that normal? I think it is. I don't know. Anyone else notice that? :wacky:

My TV feels warm when I walk past it. Is that normal? I think it is. I don't know. Anyone else notice that? :wacky:

The bottom right hand side of my TV (adjacent to the power in) gets very hot but it's not noticeable when walking past (although the ambient is normally over 30 degC).

I dont watch tv or news and no Im not trying to live off the grid this makes me laugh actually. I only own 1 tv and I use it for a computer monitor.

Is it possible to watch tv online yet? I dont work for Microsoft or Bill Gates but I can see this happening in the future. I think buying movies online like youtube is the new cool. I think the movies are released online before DVD or at the store.

Back
Top Bottom