Underground cooking

primalclaws1974

Veteran
Local time
5:16 PM
Have you ever attempted to bury food and cook it? I admit, I got this idea on "Bizarre Foods", but I had to give it a whirl! I dug a big, but fairly shallow hole. I started a fire with somewhat small pieces of wood. When the fire was largely done, and only red ambers were left, I placed a cast iron kettle on top, with a lid to keep out any nasty's. I put a thin layer of dirt over the top, and left it there for six hours. Surprisingly enough, there was still heat inside the hole when I opened it. The beans and meat were hot, soft, and delicious. Would you attempt such a thing?

Oh, yeah! We do this all of the time when we go camping it is super easy to do and the food always comes out delicious. Cooking with this technique has been around for a really long time. Probably since fire was discovered actually. Cooking in an indirect manner like this allows you free time to do other stuff too. :)

I have never attempted it but I would definitely try it out. Do you have any recipes or any specific foods that do really well when cooked like this.

I would say anything that you bake could work in this fashion, but things that taste the best when slow cooked would probably be the best. This would include stews, beans, most meats (aside from fish), and a few vegetables that take a long time to bake, such as raw potatoes. As Ally79 said, it would be a method of cooking that has no time constraints, and something you would want to take a lot of time, so you could do other activities, and the slow roasting would add flavor.

Anything with a potato base would work well like a chowder or a stew, you can do fish underground as well, but of course it won't take as long as something heartier. Some of the best cornbread I have ever had was cooked this way.

I have never actually tried it before, but I have heard of this method of cooking. I want to get a cast iron pot so badly. This is going to be one of my things to get this year with my extra money. The dirt is a good heat insulator because of the fact that most of the dirt is composed of rock particles. Rocks absorb heat and will keep your food hot. This is why food cooks so nicely when it is buried in the ground. My mouth is now watering for some beans and meat.

I've been interested in methods of cooking outdoors as it can get so oppressively hot here in summer. I'm not sure I would want to dig a hole in the backyard in order to do it though. I'm more interested in building a DIY solar oven or creating an outdoor stove. I'd really like one of those things that turns the barbecue into a pizza oven!

This way of cooking sounds like the pioneer days. I have never done outdoor camping, this sounds interesting but not something I would do. I would be too concerned with starting a fire.

we built a outside pizza oven for a friend,used fire proof bricks for a base,made the dome with sand,built in a old antique bread oven door,insert a tube for a chimney,then covered the sand with chicken wire,then mould with heat proof cement,allow to set remove the sand,after a few days light a fire,allow to go to embers ,then will cook a pizza on a granite slab in minutes,you have to keep turning the pizza with a paddle,the dome will probably need to be replaced every year,but depends on use,there are kits but this has worked

I have not yet tried this method of cooking. I know this is good when you are living in a place where there are woods available all the time for this method of cooking. or you are having an outdoor activity. This seems to be interesting but maybe I may try this one if there is a chance of doing this style of cooking.

I'm not sure I would attempt it but only because there's so much work that seems to go into something I can accomplish on the stove or in my slow cooker. I guess if it were a necessity & I were in a place/time where this method of cooking was the only way, sure I'd try it.

image.jpg
This is another system I have used ,it's now banned for health and safety , but still warrants interest
You fire a jet of pressured petroleum up a tench and put pots on grates,we even had a old modified Locker in which we could cook pizzas, this is a system called a number 1 burner and was used by the British army in the field for many years

Some years ago, we went to the mountains to visit a friend who lives there with his family. All his children were born there so they are used to that way of life. After a brief welcome of young coconut, I roamed the exterior of the house and saw one of my friend's children watching something that looked like a pile of stones. Underneath the stones are sweet potato that are being broiled. There was a burning branch of wood on top of that pile. The broiled sweet potato tasted so good.

Back
Top Bottom