Unusual Cheeses

Cheesy_Breezy

Local time
1:57 AM
Everyone knows about cheddar, mozzarella, provolone, etc, but what are your favorite cheeses that few people know about?

My favorite is Cotswold cheese. It's so oniony and I love the chives in it. Plus it's the most English cheddar you could ask for.

Share your favorites. I want to learn more about the wonderful world of cheese!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cotswold cheese is not a genuine English cheese and it isn't cheddar either! Its made from Gloucester cheese.

Double Gloucester is often blended with other ingredients. One variety made by blending with chives and spring onions has been marketed as Cotswold cheese, though this is not a traditional English cheese name.

We are spoilt for cheeses in the UK with so may traditional cheeses and easy access to French cheeses too. My favourites vary according to mood - but the stronger and smellier the better: Munster, Epoisses, Stinking Bishop, Pont L'Eveque to name but a few

We are spoilt for cheeses in the UK with so may traditional cheeses and easy access to French cheeses too. My favourites vary according to mood - but the stronger and smellier the better: Munster, Epoisses, Stinking Bishop, Pont L'Eveque to name but a few
Mine were Jarlsberg (Norwegian, but the red wheel version only), Comte (French), Wexford (English mature cheddar) and Wensleydale (Hawes Creamery version only ). That was until my dairy allergy really hit home !

Masdaam is my all time fave, then aged cheddar then a few others from Barry's bay cheese. Giggle Barry's bay cheese. A great drive an hour away. Great views over akaroa. I take visitors over there.

Russ

Butterkase.

Not heard of that one - I'll google. According to Wiki:

Butterkäse ("butter cheese" in German) is a semi-soft, cow's milk cheese moderately popular in Germanic Europe, and occasionally seen in the rest of the cheese-eating world. Although primarily produced in Germany, some Butterkäse is produced in Wisconsin.[1][2]

56060173fc6067f1526ae71e54a70684.jpg

More googling!

Wiki says:
Mizithra or myzithra is a fresh cheese made with milk and whey from sheep or goats, or both. The ratio of milk to whey usually is 7 to 3. Production resembles that of Italian ricotta. Furthermore, Mizithra can be salt-dried to produce a mature salty cheese similar to the Italian ricotta salata.

500px-Homemade_Mizithra.jpg

I like to use the dried mature mizithra when making moussaka. A friend likes to just eat it (a bit sharp and salty for me by itself).

Back
Top Bottom