Using a tagine

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
8:44 AM
We have received a splendid new tagine for Christmas, much larger than our old one, which we seldom used. My wife cooks lamb or quorn tagine quite often, but finds it easier to use an iron pot on the hob. The only instructions that came with the new tagine were about seasoning it. The question is, can it the used on a gas job to brown the meat prior to going in the oven? Conflicting advice on the internet, some saying it's ok as long as you don't subject it to sudden heat, others say that you need a special diffuser. Can anyone advise please?

We have received a splendid new tagine for Christmas, much larger than our old one, which we seldom used. My wife cooks lamb or quorn tagine quite often, but finds it easier to use an iron pot on the hob. The only instructions that came with the new tagine were about seasoning it. The question is, can it the used on a gas job to brown the meat prior to going in the oven? Conflicting advice on the internet, some saying it's ok as long as you don't subject it to sudden heat, others say that you need a special diffuser. Can anyone advise please?

I assume its earthenware? - in which case I wouldn't put it on a direct gas flame as it might crack.

@epicuric
I am in agreement with Morning Glory. I would not put it on stove top or any direct fire as it will crack . Just oven. Enjoy your Tagine . It is a true treasure ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is some valuable information on Tagines (Moroccan) and Algerian / Sub Sahara Berber Tajines ..

1) According to The Encyclopedia of Kitchen History, written by: Mary Ellen Snodgrass, the Tagine was created under the Kingdom of Harun al Rashid in the 8th Century ( The time of the Moghul Kings of Pakistan ) and the navigations to Sicily and Andalusia ..

2) www.gadventures.com

3) www.mymoroccanfood.com

4) Https:/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/tajine

Hope this shall provide a basic knowledge and show you some photographs of both the cooking vessels and the decorative type which are not used for cooking.

When I was looking at tagines, I noticed that some were decorative, only to be used as a serving dish or not at all. I have decided that if I do purchase one, it will be a Le Creuset, enameled cast iron. I'm just knocking around whether I'd rather have that or a larger dutch oven.

When I was looking at tagines, I noticed that some were decorative, only to be used as a serving dish or not at all. I have decided that if I do purchase one, it will be a Le Creuset, enameled cast iron. I'm just knocking around whether I'd rather have that or a larger dutch oven.

I didn't even know Le Creuset made them...

Thank you all for your replies. It appears that traditionally, the meat would not be browned, thus no need to put the tagine on the hob - just straight into the oven. I guess we are just predisposed to browning meat!

They are good looking things... I can't justify the expense though.:)

I used to think that way, but now I know that good quality anything, cookware wise, can and will be passed on. About 10 years ago, we bought a large Scanpan skillet with lid. By far it is the best non-stick surface we have ever found and came with a lifetime warranty. Yes, it cost $300.00. You can use regular utensils in it.

I used to think that way, but now I know that good quality anything, cookware wise, can and will be passed on. About 10 years ago, we bought a large Scanpan skillet with lid. By far it is the best non-stick surface we have ever found and came with a lifetime warranty. Yes, it cost $300.00. You can use regular utensils in it.

I'm coming round to the idea of spending more on cookware. But I have an incredibly small kitchen so I have to be a bit sensible. There is a fun thread about members kitchens somewhere. I'll search... its here: How big is your kitchen?

Scanpan skillet with lid.
We have something similar by the same company. It's a cross between a frying pan and a casserole bowl/saucepan with lid. It's oven proof as well. It is so incredibly useful that the fairly cheap price of £150 was one we didn't think twice about. I can usually get 6 servings of a curry in it when served over rice. It's a great size for 2 people. Paella or similar also makes 6 servings and I can then have today and tomorrow sorted plus 2 portions into the freezer or a 3rd night sorted for wise. (if it's a sauce or curry, serving it with pasta, rice or potatoes, couscous etc varies it enough not to be monotonous).

Similar to this. It is constantly in use.

20180103_212427.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom