Using Liquid Smoke

ariana

Veteran
Local time
12:29 AM
I love the smoky flavor of charcoal grilled food. However, it is getting cold where I live, and barbecue season is over. Furthermore, I am concerned about the cancer risks of eating burnt food. So, I was looking into liquid smoke and using it to replicate the smoky flavor. Does anyone have any experience with this? How closely does it taste like smoky or barbecued food? What are the best brands to use?

I have not personally tried liquid smoke, but I see chefs and restaurant apprentices use it to grill a meal right in front of your very eyes during a rainy or moist season. Worcestershire's great, I hear (we often use the sauce version at home). You can also try Colgin Liquid Smoke Hickory or Stubb's Mesquite Liquid Smoke. You can ask for the natural version if you want them to taste smoky or barbecued. They can mimic the original taste well minus the charcoal.

Thank you for the reply, xTinx. I will look into Worcestershire's liquid smoke. I'll trust your word that chefs and restaurant apprentices use it regularly!

Liquid smoke is vile stuff made up of all sorts of nasties, and it is my informed best guess that you are more like to increase the risks of various cancers by using it.

Cold Smoking is the way to go. It is something that I do 12-15 times a year and I have not limited to just Meat, Fish and cheese, but smoke a lot of other foods including fresh and dried; vegetables, fruits, herbs, spices and fungi, etc. https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/this-is-how-i-cold-smoke-some-of-my-favourite-foods.386/

I love the smoky flavor of charcoal grilled food. However, it is getting cold where I live, and barbecue season is over. Furthermore, I am concerned about the cancer risks of eating burnt food. So, I was looking into liquid smoke and using it to replicate the smoky flavor. Does anyone have any experience with this? How closely does it taste like smoky or barbecued food? What are the best brands to use?

I think mine is Wright's.

I use it when I'm cooking larger cuts of meat that are too large for the stovetop kettle smoker.
Be careful though. Too much of it on the meat can cause the meat to taste like medicine!!! :eek:

I think mine is Wright's.

I use it when I'm cooking larger cuts of meat that are too large for the stovetop kettle smoker.
Be careful though. Too much of it on the meat can cause the meat to taste like medicine!!! :eek:
I've never had medicine that tastes 'smoky'. How does that even work...

The way that it is made, it does not require a whole lot to attain the smokey flavor.

Just like Saffron. You only need a few strings of it to season and make foods yellow, like rice for instance. Too much of it will make the food taste like medicine!!
That is just the way that some things are made. :eek:

I love liquid smoke! I live in an apartment, so there isn't much room for a smoker or a grill. But I love barbecue! For a time, my trusty slow cooker sated my need for pork ribs and pulled pork. But it was made even more satisfying by adding liquid smoke.

I also like liquid smoke because you can add a smoky flavor to food that normally would be hard to smoke, like chili or soup.

I also like liquid smoke because you can add a smoky flavor to food that normally would be hard to smoke, like chili or soup.

Chilli, soup, stews, casseroles etc. are just as easily made using smoked ingredients. It is a rather straight forward process to cold smoke a liquid; Just put it into a chocolate fountain and then place it the cold smoker. Here is a very short video of mine where I am smoking some Honey to brew a Mead from: http://s105.photobucket.com/user/Gareth_Lewis/media/Mead Making/SmokedHoneyMead007.mp4.html

Yes the caner risk is high from eating burned food, is also high from eating animal base foods in any form. I do use liquid smoke, as a vegan you learn to use different alternatives to your favorite dishes. Liquid smoke can make a nice addition to the kitchen spices. I don't remember the brand I used, but it was one with the least amount of ingredients.

I use liquid smoke when I throw pork loin into my crock pot for pulled pork. The smokey flavor is delicious on a fresh pulled pork sandwich. You have to be careful with it though, because the flavor can get a little over powering.

No way. Liquid smoke is not my jam. I've always felt that it tends to give what I'm making a chemically taste & that is never good. I use to use it for certain recipes but have opted out since & never went back. Now I use seasonings that are smoked or smoke tea or char a few vegetables before putting them in the recipe.

I use Liquid Smoke when I make burgers on the stove just a little bit is needed to give the meat an interesting taste. I like the way the kitchen smells when it is used in cooking.

I confess I've used it too. It really does add a smokey taste. I'm not sure if the ingredients are harmful or not, but, a @P
I use Liquid Smoke when I make burgers on the stove just a little bit is needed to give the meat an interesting taste. I like the way the kitchen smells when it is used in cooking.
I've used Liquid Smoke too. I'm not sure if its harmful or not, but as @Pat says, you only need the merest drip on burger to get a smokey taste.

I would really prefer the natural smoke. We have a friend who cooked barbecue steak that was smoked. He used wood that he had brought, maple maybe. The taste of the steak was pretty good although it smelled too much of the smoke. My husband took home the leftovers and re-heated it the next day. It tasted much better.

Back
Top Bottom