Using salt

Interesting.
What advantage does that process have over simply dumping the onions into a jar , with some spices, and pouring hot vinegar over them?

In my experience onions have too much water in them and become soggy if that water is not reduced. Brining causes the water to be "sweated out" and thereafter be replaced by vinegar. They stay crisper much longer. Pickled onions, in my opinion, should "crack" when bitten. I have a jar in the fridge opened six months ago and the onions still "crack" now.

In my experience onions have too much water in them and become soggy if that water is not reduced. Brining causes the water to be "sweated out" and thereafter be replaced by vinegar. They stay crisper much longer. Pickled onions, in my opinion, should "crack" when bitten. I have a jar in the fridge opened six months ago and the onions still "crack" now.

I make pickled red onions a lot. It is a popular Mexican food garnish. I need to try brining them before I pickle them. Does it make the onions salty, or can you brine them, rinse them and pickle them without being salty?

CD

I make pickled red onions a lot. It is a popular Mexican food garnish. I need to try brining them before I pickle them. Does it make the onions salty, or can you brine them, rinse them and pickle them without being salty?

CD

I don't think that they are salty although I don't mind slightly excessive salt. As long as they are rinsed thoroughly I would think most of the salt will have gone.

Many years ago I was preparing pickled onions for a bar in town. The landlord bought the onions, jars and vinegar. He decided after a while that he'd get his staff to do it. Hoewever, after brining and washing they couldn't be bothered with the drying sequence (which is tedious) so dispensed with most of that. The result was soft onions.

[Mod.edit: this post and following few moved to form new topic (MG)]

It's one of my pet peeves, either not enough or no salt at all. It seems that in the last decade young chefs (generally 25 and under) have been under the impression that salt is somehow very bad for you and should be eliminated from the diet and that their doing their diners a favor.

I think that it's best to not have enough. Like Emeril Lagasse said, you can always add, but you can't take it away. If you put too much, you might regret it. I always start off with a little bit. I don't use that much on account I have HBP (high blood pressure). :unsure:

I don't think that they are salty although I don't mind slightly excessive salt. As long as they are rinsed thoroughly I would think most of the salt will have gone.

Many years ago I was preparing pickled onions for a bar in town. The landlord bought the onions, jars and vinegar. He decided after a while that he'd get his staff to do it. Hoewever, after brining and washing they couldn't be bothered with the drying sequence (which is tedious) so dispensed with most of that. The result was soft onions.

I read this today:

Question: "I've always used the brine method when preparing pickled onions, leaving them for at least 24 hours before rinsing, drying and then bottling in whatever combination of vinegar and spices I'm using. However, I've read two or three recipes lately (including Val's on here) where the onions are just layered with salt and left overnight rather than submerging them in brine. They're then rinsed, dried and bottled in the same way. Anybody know if it makes any difference?"

Answer: "Dry salting removes some of the 'juice' from the onions so the vinegar can get further into them. A good idea if your onions are 'strong'".

The questioner does not appear to emphasise the importance of the drying of the onions as I do.

I read this today:

Question: "I've always used the brine method when preparing pickled onions, leaving them for at least 24 hours before rinsing, drying and then bottling in whatever combination of vinegar and spices I'm using. However, I've read two or three recipes lately (including Val's on here) where the onions are just layered with salt and left overnight rather than submerging them in brine. They're then rinsed, dried and bottled in the same way. Anybody know if it makes any difference?"

Answer: "Dry salting removes some of the 'juice' from the onions so the vinegar can get further into them. A good idea if your onions are 'strong'".

The questioner does not appear to emphasise the importance of the drying of the onions as I do.

I always salt onions when I am sautéing them, just to remove moisture which is also removing bitterness, so I get the natural sweetness from my sautéed onions. So, it makes sense to me to brine onions that I am going to pickle.

I have nothing to lose by trying it, but a couple of onions.

CD

I'm afraid to say, in the old days that person would be called a snake oil salesman, a real charlatan. I really can't believe the claims they make.....
Don't get me started on all the fake stuff on the internet!

But all the same, I agree with the points made about good quality salt not being as bad for us compared to that cheap canister stuff. But it actualky helps lower hypertension? 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
It is my observation that chefs use way too much salt. Maybe it is a regional thing. I watch the TV and YouTube chefs and they add salt about five times during a cook. Since I am on a very strict low sodium diet, a meal with 1,500mg of sodium is almost a whole day's allowance for me. If I have too much salt, the consequences are unpleasant. My legs, feet, ankles and belly bloat up like water balloons.

CD
I noticed that on cooking shows. Good gosh they use a ton of salt. I have high blood pressure so I use salt sparingly. I cant imagine cooking with out it. Bought Himalayan salt and am goi g to try it.

I noticed that on cooking shows. Good gosh they use a ton of salt. I have high blood pressure so I use salt sparingly. I cant imagine cooking with out it. Bought Himalayan salt and am goi g to try it.
The main thing about that processed canister salt is the anti-caking agent and other additives, I don't like the idea of it. The Himalayan is natural and has minerals. I like the coarser grain because I mostly use it to finish the dish and I get a more pronounced flavor while being able to use a lesser amount.

I can't imagine a loaf of bread without salt in the dough.

Don't get me started on all the fake stuff on the internet!

But all the same, I agree with the points made about good quality salt not being as bad for us compared to that cheap canister stuff. But it actualky helps lower hypertension? 🤣🤣🤣
Here's the catch basically. All salt is around 98-99% sodium chloride and trace minerals and one is not better than the other as far as health is concerned. Himalayan salt is just from a specific region in Pakistan I believe and depending on the mine the trace minerals will add some color like pink for example. It's marketing and promotion that has elevated that salt to get the prices they are. I use Himalayan pink in my salt mill right now because it was a gift but i would never pay the prices they're going for but people seemed to be convinced that it's better than any other salt.

Here's the catch basically. All salt is around 98-99% sodium chloride and trace minerals and one is not better than the other as far as health is concerned. Himalayan salt is just from a specific region in Pakistan I believe and depending on the mine the trace minerals will add some color like pink for example. It's marketing and promotion that has elevated that salt to get the prices they are. I use Himalayan pink in my salt mill right now because it was a gift but i would never pay the prices they're going for but people seemed to be convinced that it's better than any other salt.
I was aware that they were all about 98% sodium chloride. I like a coarser grain because I tend to get more salt flavor while still using lesser amounts (when using it as a finishing salt). I also like sea salt. I use them both regularly. My Himalayan pink salt isn't more expensive than sea salt and its not expensive at all, really. I think I bought a large grinder for $1.99.

Himalayan salt is just from a specific region in Pakistan I believe......

My wife bought Himalayan rock salt last week. First time I've seen it in these parts.

She's convinced that it's healthier than sea salt but I have my doubts.

Himalayansalt.jpg

CD

I’ve just started pickling my red onions as well, it’s my new go to with tacos.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom