Using tasting spoons whilst cooking

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
8:01 PM
[Mod.edit: Following few posts have been moved from another thread (MG)]

For me, I tend to add less salt initially and finish with salt, because sometimes food (like chili, soups, or pasta sauce) cooks down and the salty flavor becomes more concentrated at the end.
Ok, so when I’m tasting something, my first choice is to stick my finger in it and taste it that way, but that presents problems because I usually, without thinking about it, use my main finger, which I also use to pinch salt from the salt pig, so my finger is pre-salted and throws everything off. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so when I’m tasting something, my first choice is to stick my finger in it and taste it that way, but that presents problems because I usually, without thinking about it, use my main finger, which I also use to pinch salt from the salt pig, so my finger is pre-salted and throws everything off. :laugh:
I have a pile of tasting spoons in my sink when I'm done cooking :laugh:

I have the same thing, except they’re not from tasting, just everything else. Stir, into the sink. Stir, another spoon, into the sink, butter for skillet, knife in the sink, butter for bread, knife in the sink. :laugh:
Well I do wash as I go. But I know people who taste from the stirring spoon and keep using it, ew. Not in my house!

When you don't use recipes you have to taste continuously. More cumin? Yep. More garlic? Yup. Etc.

If I'm just cooking for myself, I don't care. When I cook for others, I use multiple tasting spoons.

CD
I live with another person. I know it might seem odd, but even though we kiss, I won't eat or drink after him (or anyone else). I won't leave my saliva on/in his food, though he doesn't care. I'm just wired like that.

I read an article a whiles back that talked basically about "double dipping" into anything.
If I taste something, I do not use the spoon that I've been using to stir with.
If I give want my official taste-tester aka DH to try a small bit of whatever I'm making for his thumbs up, he gets it in a small bowl with a utensil just for him.
If we're scooping out something from a jar, we'll use a separate spoon/knife/fork to extract that product onto a your dish.
The article was saying that you can contaminant that food product and cause you and/or others to get sick.

I usually taste from the same spoon I'm cooking with, because its usually just my wife and I.
When I'm cooking for company, I'll pour from spoon to my palm and taste that way. I think I just hate generating extra spoons to wash LOL!

Taste - into the sink.
Doesn´t matter how many I use ( and I´ve got about 20 in the drawer), it´s taste - sink.
When I´m doing food courses, I use plastic spoons. They get dumped in the rubbish.

Same here. Usually its just Colleen and I, so I don't worry about it to much. If company is over I'll run out of spoons tasting it lol. Sometimes my "tasting" is like eating an entire meal lol

Yeah, I have had times where I've tasted so many times that I'm not all that hungry when the food is done. :laugh:

CD

I usually taste from the same spoon I'm cooking with, because its usually just my wife and I.
When I'm cooking for company, I'll pour from spoon to my palm and taste that way. I think I just hate generating extra spoons to wash LOL!

I use the same tasting spoon throughout cooking one dish. I will drip some of the sauce from my cooking spatula/spoon onto the tasting spoon.

Back
Top Bottom