Recipe (Vegan) Crumpets (2)

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:30 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Round 2 of the crumpet experiment and I should have looked more closely at the pictures they showed and paid less attention to the read comments.
I happened to chance upon somewhere selling fresh yeast recently and having promised hubby sometime ago that I would make him some crumpets, I have taken the opportunity to try to different recipes out. I did have a crumpets recipe years ago that made excellent crumpets and can't remember having any problems with it. I know it also used fresh yeast, so I was a little surprised at some of the issues I ran into. <snip>
So following on from round 1 and running almost alongside it, the aim was after finding some fresh yeast, to make crumpets for my hubby who loves them.
I would obviously need to make them dairy free which with crumpets makes them vegan, and I needed to adapt the recipe to use fresh yeast instead of the dried yeast almost every recipe today uses (if they have yeast that is). Substituting soya milk for whole milk often works really well where as using almond or another nut milk frequently is less successful in this type of baking, so I went with soya milk not my usual almond milk (both unsweetened).
In the end I went with the Dove's Farm (A UK company I knew well from having lived in the UK most of my life) one which can be found here (Yeast Conversion Table).
You do really need something in the way of crumpet rings to make these, though I have found that circular pastry cutters (not the crinkle ones or side) can double as a single crumpet ring. You'll benefit from at least 2.

There are a couple of main difference between this and the other recipe. The most obvious is that this one does not call for strong flour and the next most obvious is that it does not use water. It also does not have bicarbonate of soda either.

Ingredients
  • 250ml milk
  • 10g fresh yeast
  • 1 tsp golden caster sugar
  • 200g plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
  • vegetable oil for greasing
Method
  1. Heat half the soya milk in the microwave or a saucepan until just too warm to handle. Now add the other half and it should feel about body temp, so neither cool nor warm. If it is hot, let it cool down until body temp.
  2. Add the yeast and sugar to a bowl and beat until a smooth paste is formed. Now add the soya milk a little at a time and beat in each few tbsps until thin enough not to form lumps. Add the rest of the milk and place in a warm location until frothy (roughly 15-30 mins).
  3. Sift the flour and sea salt in a large bowl, and gradually mix in the soya milk and yeast mixture to make a smooth, loose batter. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 60-90 minutes or until doubled in size.
  4. As before you will need to check the thickness of the batter and again, the thickness was way too thick, by a big margin. It should not be thick enough to look like dough which this recipe did for me. It should also not hold its own shape (it did), but at the same time, it should not be watery. Cautiously add more soya milk/water as needed, beating in thoroughly each time and checking. It should almost hold away from the edge of the bowl when you run the spatula around but not quite. You are looking at it being just thin enough that it will spread out to fill the crumpet rings when you put batter in them. If it is not doing this and you are having to tease it to the edges, it is too thick. Also (though more relative to the next stage of cooking) if you don't get the classic crumpet holes bursting open on the top of the crumpet, the batter is still too thick!
  5. Put the crumpet rings flat into the griddle and allow them to warm up. Now spoon a small ladleful of batter into each, so they are roughly half full and leave them alone until the top is totally cooked and 'dry'. The batter should not come away if you were to touch the top with a metal spoon...
  6. Cook until the top is dry and festooned with holes, then push the crumpets out of the rings (you may need a knife for this part and if it is a fight, you have done it too soon).
  7. Turn the crumpet over and cook on the other side until lightly browned, then transfer to a cooling rack. Crumpets are invariable best left to cool first and then reheated - don't ask why, they just taste so much better if left to cool and then toasted.
Adapted from Homemade crumpets with burnt honey butter

Last edited:
First up the reviews of these crumpets made me expect them to be better than they are. I think the 4 stars is generous personally. They were way too thick and the cooking method of putting them under a grill (UK term) is just odd. They also collapsed on cooking. Despite filling the crumpet rings to the max, they don't hold their height (and didn't even with very thick batter). It is weird because the other crumpets actually grew as they were cooked whilst these did the opposite. I don't think I will be making these again.

Back
Top Bottom