Recipe Vegetable biryani

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:34 PM
Vegetable Biryani

I served this with butter roasted egg masala and naan.

full.jpg

Rice
1 cup Basmati rice (soaked for at least 20 minutes or per your package directions)
2 Tbsp oil or Ghee
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 small hot chili, chopped, deseeded if desired, or whole with a slit if you don't like a lot of spice
2 tsp ginger/garlic paste (50/50 ratio, if you are making masala, you need paste for that too)
2 Tbsp mint leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp chile powder (or cayenne, adjust to your taste)
1 tsp Garam Masala powder
1 small tomato, chopped
1-1/2 cups water (or a 50/50 mix of water and unsweetened coconut milk)
2 Tbsp yogurt
3/4 tsp salt plus extra pinch
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice

Vegetables
1/3 cup each of 2 or 3 vegetables of your choice, chopped into small pieces - carrots, green beans, potatoes, bell peppers, peas, cauliflower.

Spices
1 bay leaf
2-inch piece of cinnamon
4 cloves
1/2 tsp ground cumin
4 green cardamom pods
1 star anise

Garnish (Optional)
Chopped cashews
Chopped cilantro

Instructions:

Place the rice into a fine mesh colander and set aside to drain.

Chop all ingredients. Set aside.

Add oil or ghee to a pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add the spices and saute until fragrant. Add onions and fresh chili, and saute until onion is becoming translucent. Add the ginger/garlic paste and saute until raw smell is gone. Add tomatoes and cook until they break down. Add your chopped vegetables, mint and cilantro, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the Garam Masala, chile powder, and 3/4 tsp salt, cook for a couple of minutes, add yogurt and stir, making sure to scrape up any stuck bits on pan bottom. Add rice, water, lemon juice, and a pinch more salt, and stir. Liquid should taste a bit salty. Cover and cook over low heat until all of liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, remove any of the whole spices you see, as well as the hot chili if you left it whole, and serve with garnish if using.

NOTE: If using the water/coconut milk mixture, check the rice about halfway through cooking to make sure you have enough liquid to finish cooking, as you may need to add a bit more water so it doesn't burn.

Last edited:
I love biryani - and there are so many different ways to make it. This is the first time I've come across adding yoghurt. I add it to curry sauces or use it as a marinade but haven't ever used it in a biryani.

I really love this recipe. Not only does it contain things that I happen to have in my kitchen, so I can make it myself, but I also love that the directions were almost a narration of a story. I love building a recipe where there are a lot of fragrances that come in to play as they hit the pan. Starting out with the spices in the ghee is an excellent move. I am imagining myself making it as I am reading.

Vegetable Biryani

I served this with butter roasted egg masala and naan.

View attachment 41109

Rice
1 cup Basmati rice (soaked for at least 20 minutes or per your package directions)
2 Tbsp oil or Ghee
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 small hot chili, chopped, deseeded if desired, or whole with a slit if you don't like a lot of spice
2 tsp ginger/garlic paste (50/50 ratio, if you are making masala, you need paste for that too)
2 Tbsp mint leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp chile powder (or cayenne, adjust to your taste)
1 tsp Garam Masala powder
1 small tomato, chopped
1-1/2 cups water (or a 50/50 mix of water and unsweetened coconut milk)
2 Tbsp yogurt
3/4 tsp salt plus extra pinch
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice

Vegetables
1/3 cup each of 2 or 3 vegetables of your choice, chopped into small pieces - carrots, green beans, potatoes, bell peppers, peas, cauliflower.

Spices
1 bay leaf
2-inch piece of cinnamon
4 cloves
1/2 tsp ground cumin
4 green cardamom pods
1 star anise

Garnish (Optional)
Chopped cashews
Chopped cilantro

Instructions:

Place the rice into a fine mesh colander and set aside to drain.

Chop all ingredients. Set aside.

Add oil or ghee to a pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add the spices and saute until fragrant. Add onions and fresh chili, and saute until onion is becoming translucent. Add the ginger/garlic paste and saute until raw smell is gone. Add tomatoes and cook until they break down. Add your chopped vegetables, mint and cilantro, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the Garam Masala, chile powder, and 3/4 tsp salt, cook for a couple of minutes, add yogurt and stir, making sure to scrape up any stuck bits on pan bottom. Add rice, water, lemon juice, and a pinch more salt, and stir. Liquid should taste a bit salty. Cover and cook over low heat until all of liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, remove any of the whole spices you see, as well as the hot chili if you left it whole, and serve with garnish if using.

NOTE: If using the water/coconut milk mixture, check the rice about halfway through cooking to make sure you have enough liquid to finish cooking, as you may need to add a bit more water so it doesn't burn.

Very nice and I’m quite impressed by all the spices involved, it’s such a great party where I would have been invited! Molto interessante 👏🏻

Back
Top Bottom