Vegetable Fries

Karalyne

Veteran
Local time
1:06 PM
I have made home made french fries for years and they are always delicious. However, I would also like to try frying some other vegetables as well in the deep fryer, such as carrots, cucumbers and butternut squash. I'd like to cut them in stick form like one normally does for making homemade french fries and then add seasonings after they are done. Have any of you tried this? How did they turn out?

Normally, vegetables for deep frying are coated in batter as in Indian and Japanese recipes. You can fry them without, but beware of veg with a high water content like cucumber as the fat will spit everywhere. Here's a link to a Syrian recipe (well, its hardly a recipe) which deep fries cauliflower without batter.

http://syrianfoodie.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/one-hundred-and-one-mezze-17-fried.html

Why don't you experiment with a few different vegetables and report back? :D

My sister-in-law makes crispy vegetable fries.I particularly like the spinach leaves that she dips in a flour mix like a breading. It has flavoring already although she makes a good dip that is very appropriate. Another special fried vegetable she makes is the so called dynamite. It is a long pepper (we call it candle pepper) that she cuts in half and after taking out the seeds, she would insert the fillings inside. After fryijng, it also comes with a special dip. The fillings can be meat and cheese or it can also be fish depending on your taste buds.

Zuchini fries used to be popular over here, but now people make all kinds of fried veggies including green bean, sweet potato, and others. Fried pickles are kind of an option here too. All of the fries are pretty good. Some of the veggie fries remind me of a tempura or Japanese batter fries.

A little while ago I mixed a couple of vegetables as well as potatoes and tried to fry them altogether. I was a newbie in the kitchen (and still I am) so you may guess what it tasted like haha :D. It was pretty edible, good to eat but I think I made the mistake of adding the ham together with the potatoes.
Your idea sounds great, mom & me used to cook baked potatoes and add several seasonings on them and they are delicious. Every time we bake them they get delicious. I even switched from frying just white potatoes to mixing them with sweet potatoes.

Zuchini fries used to be popular over here, but now people make all kinds of fried veggies including green bean, sweet potato, and others. Fried pickles are kind of an option here too. All of the fries are pretty good. Some of the veggie fries remind me of a tempura or Japanese batter fries.

When in the buffet table, mostly in big hotels where there is an array of international food, the fried zucchini chips is one of my favorites. It is a good "chaser" for the meat dishes. I actually get a combination of barbecue and zucchini chips from the Japanese section of the buffet. But zucchini chips is not appropriate for shrimp tempura, the eggplant fries taste better with that. Maybe I can try zucchini fries with a special marinade that we use for the fried pork strips.

I've had tempura vegetables and they're really delicious. I like the idea of trying to make sweet potato fries, but with the other vegetables, I love them so much fresh or steamed, that that's usually how I cook them. Zucchini chips sound really delicious, and I could probably do those in the oven, which would be my preferred way to cook them, since it would be less messy and involve less fat.

I have made home made french fries for years and they are always delicious. However, I would also like to try frying some other vegetables as well in the deep fryer, such as carrots, cucumbers and butternut squash. I'd like to cut them in stick form like one normally does for making homemade french fries and then add seasonings after they are done. Have any of you tried this? How did they turn out?

I've never tried the squash in sticks, but I have cut it more like chips and cooked it in the deep fryer. I just slice it into circles, pat it in some flour, and make sure the oil is good and hot before putting it in.

Sweet potato fries are good and green bean "fries" are too. I never thought about trying it with carrots or cucumbers. I think cucumbers would just get mushy.

I like vegetable fries. I like vegetables roasted on stick or on fry pan. Usually I roast tofu, mushroom, tomato, cauliflower, capsicum,potato on stick and eat with hot sauce. I also like like to eat mix vegetables dipped in a batter and fried on fry pan.

You can try vegetable pakoras. I am sharing the recipe below:

1 cup Chickpea Flour (Besan)
2 tsp Oil
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 -2 Chopped Green Chillies (Jalapeno)
1/2 cup Water
1 Potato
1 small Cauliflower
2 Cabbage
5 leaves Spinach sliced
1 1/2 cup Sliced Onion

How to make vegetable pakora:

• Boil the potato until just tender, peel and chop finely.
  • Finely chop cauliflower and onion. Shred the cabbage and spinach.
  • Mix first set of ingredients well. Beat in a blender for 4-5 minutes to incorporate air (this will make the batter fluffier).
  • Let batter rest 1/2 hour in a warm place
  • Add the vegetables and mix in evenly.
  • Deep fry in oil that is heated to 375°.
  • Drain pakoda on paper towels and serve immediately.
  • Serve vegetable pakora with coriander or mint chutney or tomato ketchup

I have tried to make french fry sweet potatoes, it did not turn out so good, the potatoes were not crisp at all. My oil my not have been hot enough.

Sweet potato fries are my favorite but I also like green bean and carrots fries. I have never tried to use cucumber as fries before. That is very interesting. I might have to give that one a try.

I have not tried it as I have not deep fried anything in ages. Still if that's what you are into go right ahead and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:

I have fried zucchini, but I fry them in a skillet like fried green tomatoes instead of in a pot of sizzling oil. I do love both fried zucchini and fried green tomatoes. I add a little sugar and seasoning salt to the flour I coat them in and they are so tasty!

Back
Top Bottom