Vegetable/fruit/herb to grow in small space?

tangela

Veteran
Local time
3:15 AM
Hi there everyone!

I just had a question and wanted to pick at your brains a little bit. My fiancé and I live in a studio apartment with a nice kitchen and nice everything, but there isn't a WHOLE lot of space. I've always wanted to grow some veggies or fruits or herbs of my own but find that the space is a huge issue.

We have a bit of space on the counter by the sink, and a bit of space on the railing of our porch just right before the entrance. I'm a bit hesitant about putting anything on the railing because we do get raccoons and I don't want them to eat and/or push it over the edge.

So does anyone have any ideas on what I can grow that won't break the bank or break my back?

Growing bean sprouts is one of the easiest things you can do in a limited small space. They also grow fast (compared to other vegetables) and don't take up much space. They easily wither, however, so you have to be diligent in watering them. Place a barricade around the seedlings, enough to discourage your raccoons from eating them.

Most herbs are easy to grow in pots in an indoor space. On my kitchen windowsill I grow chives and mint in pots, but basil, thyme and coriander also grow well indoors.

I'm not sure about your outside space. I would suggest growing vegetable in tubs inside a metal cage that the racoons can't get into.

Growing bean sprouts is one of the easiest things you can do in a limited small space. They also grow fast (compared to other vegetables) and don't take up much space. They easily wither, however, so you have to be diligent in watering them. Place a barricade around the seedlings, enough to discourage your raccoons from eating them.
I didn't know that, thanks! I should look into how to grow bean sprouts. Not sure how my fiancé would take adding bean sprouts to our diet but why not :)

Most herbs are easy to grow in pots in an indoor space. On my kitchen windowsill I grow chives and mint in pots, but basil, thyme and coriander also grow well indoors.

I'm not sure about your outside space. I would suggest growing vegetable in tubs inside a metal cage that the racoons can't get into.
That's good to know you can grow so many herbs indoors! Having fresh herbs is so nice but it's often so expensive at the supermarket :( I'll have to look into it too. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom