Vegetarian chili con carne

The recipe states for 4 people. I usually allow 60g rice (dry weight) per person for a medium portion or 75g for a larger portion.

N.B. Although on the BBC website this is not a BBC recipe but a 'community member' recipe, so its not 'tried and tested'.

Thanks very much. One more question. I live alone and want to freeze the remainder. How should I reheat?

I haven't had much with reheating foods that include frozen rice so I usually don't make it with the intention of freezing. I would make as much chili as I want, freeze part of it and make a new batch of rice for when I thaw it.

Good luck. It looks like a yummy recipe.

Rice is not good when reheated. Better let it thaw and eat it than heat it up.
When kept in fridge a few days rice goes back to very much like uncooked rice.

I looked at the recipe. As a Texan, I would recommend that you NOT use baked beans. I would suggest some black beans, instead.

Also, "con carne" means "with meat." Sooooo, vegetarian chili con carne is an oxymoron. It is just vegetarian chili. Nothing wrong with vegetarian chili. I've had it, and it was good. But, it's not "con carne" unless it has meat.

I don't really know much about Quorn. I know it a meat substitute, found mostly in the UK? That's all I know.

The recipe also listed "one pepper, chopped." No mention of what kind of pepper. What do you have in mind?

Oh, BTW, another US/UK difference in the English language it that we spell Chili with one "L." :laugh: I don't know why -- it is what it is.

Great thing about this forum is it is international, so you have friends in places like Texas, where chili con carne was invented. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

CD

Back
Top Bottom