Velvet crab?

Because of my job I have a almost inexhaustible access to velvet swimming crabs (not sure what they are known as outside the UK). Now to be honest I have only ever known them to be of use as stock but surely there must be a way of utilising the meat in them.
Had anyone ever come across a decent recipe for vc's other then for stock or soup?
Ciao,
I not know this crab. I sometime make Ravioli with crab.
Sarana x

Saranak they aren't something you see much of in the UK unless your are on the coast-most of them tend to be exported to Europe.
I was thinking of doing a ravioli, I have a good recipe for lobster ravioli so might just use the crab instead.
velvet-crab-smcc.jpg

Saranak they aren't something you see much of in the UK unless your are on the coast-most of them tend to be exported to Europe.
I was thinking of doing a ravioli, I have a good recipe for lobster ravioli so might just use the crab instead.
View attachment 39027
Ciao Popeye,
Si can use almost any thing for Ravioli.
Sarana x

Wyshiepoo how do you eat them down there?
Boil them for a bit and then pick them. A very, very fiddly job. Usually just eat them in a sandwich. The legs have quite a thin shell so it is possible, if you get it right, to give each segment a squeeze and the (small amount of) meat just pops out.

As I mentioned, I love eating them but they are so flippin' fiddly!

You can only take them if they are above a certain size, 6.5 cm across the shell.

Ah! A good Maryland style, steamed crab feast! Cover a table with news paper, dump the crabs on the table, have plenty of beer on ice and get to chowing down. Sorry ElizabethB, I've had boiled crabs, but prefer steamed. I've tried steamed crawfish, but prefer boiled. I treat Dungeness and Golden crab the same way. I like garlic crab as well, but steamed rules!

I will show someone how to clean and pick a crab once. After that they're on their own!

Ah! A good Maryland style, steamed crab feast! Cover a table with news paper, dump the crabs on the table, have plenty of beer on ice and get to chowing down. Sorry ElizabethB, I've had boiled crabs, but prefer steamed. I've tried steamed crawfish, but prefer boiled. I treat Dungeness and Golden crab the same way. I like garlic crab as well, but steamed rules!

I will show someone how to clean and pick a crab once. After that they're on their own!

You guys are so lucky with crawfish, on my bucket list . Closest we got is fresh water koura. I can get them if I drive an hour away,they are so sweet, exactly like craws I imagine.??

Russ

Back
Top Bottom