Recipe Venezuelan Arepas

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
10:54 AM
I titled this recipe as "Venezuelan", because Colombian arepas are different.
The arepa is the iconic Venezuelan fast food. For some, especially in the poorest parts of the country, it is the only food. Easy to make, nutritious, versatile (you can fill it with almost anything) and cheap, you can find arepas everywhere in the country, and at all hours of the day and night.

Ingredients:
800 gms "Harina PAN" (Venezuelan precooked cornmeal)*
500 mls water
pinch of salt
tsp oil

* You HAVE to use cornmeal, and while there are over 50 brands in Venezuela, you'll probably only find P.A.N. in the USA

Method:
Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix together until you have a soft dough. Cover the bowl and leave for 5-10 minutes. ( This is so that the cornmeal absorbs all the water).
Divide the dough into pieces, and roll the pieces into balls.
Place a ball on the palm of your hand and flatten it into a round, about 1-11/2 cms (1/2") thick.
Heat a griddle, or heavy skillet (in Venezuela we use a flat, round metal plate called a "budare") and wipe the surface with a little oil. Place the arepas on the plate and keep the temperature to medium-low. After a few minutes, the arepa will be slightly toasted. Turn it over and cook the other side until done.
Split the arepa open horizontally and fill with your favourite filling. Typically, we use cheese, meat, chicken, avocado, black beans, etc.
1709263844494.png

Arepalilli.jpg
Arepas.jpg

Looks like something I would like to try.
But... Gertting the main ingredient would be a problem....
I can get maizena and I can get corn meal (slightly similar to polenta). Would any of those work?

Thank you!!

Can this be used?

IMG_2431.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom