The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
10:29 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
10marrrex-articleLarge.jpg

This is the first time I've posted someone else's recipe, but this looks so astounding that I had to share. I mean, just look at that: a beautifully rustic pie with a marrow bone sticking out of it!

I will attempt to duplicate this some day, but I really do want to get the best ingredients to make sure I'm doing it justice. The recipe was posted to New York Times Cooking. Here's what that link shows:

Yield: 1 9-inch deep dish pie, 4 servings
Time: 1 hour, plus 8 hours' braising and baking

This lavish, British-style meat pie is a delicious, time-consuming project. It comes together over many hours, layering the flavors and textures of many different meats, and seals it all in a buttery homemade dough. The recipe belongs to the chef Angie Mar of the Beatrice Inn in New York, who makes the pie at her restaurant in smaller ramekins, so that each person gets her own marrow bone. This family-style version serves several people, but a single bone works beautifully: As the pie bakes in the oven, most of the marrow melts out, bubbling into the sauce, making it even richer. The pie filling, made from potatoes and venison braised in trotter stock, is thickened with a little flour, but it should be slightly loose when you're putting the pie together. The crust requires suet, and though you could make it all-butter if you wanted to, it seems that if you've come this far, and located the marrow bone, the trotters and the venison meat, you may as well go all the way. The finished pie is certainly worth it.

INGREDIENTS

FOR THE FILLING:

5 cups/1.2 liters chicken stock
1 pig trotter, split lengthways
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ pounds/700 grams venison shoulder or leg meat, cut into about 2-inch pieces
Kosher salt
4 tablespoons/40 grams all-purpose flour
¾ cup/188 milliliters white wine
½ onion
6 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
6 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1 cup fingerling potatoes or new potatoes, boiled until tender
1 5- to 6-inch marrow bone, outside scraped clean

FOR THE CRUST:

2 ½ cups/300 grams all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons/30 grams sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
5 ½ tablespoons/75 grams cold unsalted butter, coarsely grated
5 ½ tablespoons/75 grams cold beef suet, coarsely grated (or use additional butter)
¾ cup/200 milliliters ice water

TO ASSEMBLE:

1 egg, beaten

PREPARATION

1. Make the filling: In a heavy-bottomed pot that fits the trotter pieces in a single layer, bring the stock and trotter to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer gently for about 3 hours or until the trotter skin and meat is very tender. Remove trotter pieces and strain the liquid, reserving both the trotters and liquid, separately.
  2. Heat oven to 325 degrees. In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over high heat. Generously season the venison all over with kosher salt and, working in batches, sear the meat on all sides until deep golden brown. Return all meat to the pot, reduce heat to medium and sprinkle the flour over the meat, stirring gently. When flour is slightly brown, add the wine, scraping all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the liquid thickens, about 1 minute, then add about 4 cups of the braising liquid from the trotters, so the meat is covered, along with the onion, garlic and herbs. Bring up to a boil, then cover tightly and place in the oven to cook until tender, about 3 hours. Fish out and discard the onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaf.
  3. Once the trotter pieces are cool enough, pick off all of the meat, silken tendons and skin from the bones, and discard the bones and any tough bits. Chop trotter meat, tendon and skin roughly and add to the braised venison, along with the potatoes. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary with more salt.
  4. Make the crust: Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a food processor and pulse to mix. Add the butter and suet and pulse until mixture has a cornmeal-like texture. Slowly stream in a little cold water and continue pulsing, adding water a little at a time until dough comes together; you may not need all the water. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, dusting with flour as needed to avoid sticking. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
  5. When ready to bake the pie, heat oven to 375 degrees. Put a 9- or 10-inch deep-dish pie plate on a foil-lined baking tray and stand the marrow bone up in the center of the pan. Spoon all the meat, potato filling and gravy around it. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch round and cut a small cross at the center. Drape dough over the pie plate, pushing the marrow bone right through the center, so it’s sticking out. Use scissors to cut excess dough away, leaving at least an inch hanging off the edge all around. Use a fork to press down and crimp the dough where it’s touching the edge of the pan, leaving the overhang attached. (It will make a kind of curtain around the the dish.) Generously brush the dough all over with the beaten egg, and bake until the crust is deep golden brown, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then season the open top of the marrow bone with a little salt and serve.

This lavish, British-style meat pie is a delicious, time-consuming project.

British style? Well, perhaps - but I've never come across a marrow bone stuck upright in the middle of a pie. Suet crust pastry is delicious. The question is @The Late Night Gourmet, are you going to try making it? :D

Pigs trotters are not commonly on sale here so I'd need to find a good butcher but I'm not entirely convinced it would be worth the effort. However, the marrowbone would be delicious, I'm sure!

@The Late Night Gourmet,

Pig trotters ( manitas de cerdo = pig´s feet ) are as Spanish as Hernan Cortéz was !

A historically ancient authentic Spanish delicacy which we serve in a stew to this day .. The men in our family like this every so often in the Winter ..

Gorgeous pastry Shell & the marrow bone is ultra extraordinarily surreal ..

Interesting !! Good luck with it ..

British style? Well, perhaps - but I've never come across a marrow bone stuck upright in the middle of a pie.
Those of the chef's words, not mine. And, I've never seen anything like this either.

It will take some time for me to get around to doing it. Yet another thing to keep me away from finishing my food blog. :laugh:

I've seen a pie with fish heads sticking out of the crust, but never a marrow bone. When the pie is served, who gets the bone or is it a free for all?:hyper:

I've seen a pie with fish heads sticking out of the crust, but never a marrow bone. When the pie is served, who gets the bone or is it a free for all?:hyper:

The website says the Chef makes individual smaller pies (one per person) in the restaurant - so everyone gets one!

Stargazey Pie is the fish one - a cornish pie with fish heads and tails too sometimes (using sardines):

1063442_300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom