Veteran's Day (US)

That'll be the end of the meals for this year, I'm afraid. The temperature is plunging and the snow is on its way, and the wife neither wants to go out with me or stay home by herself, so here we sit.

Let me tell you a story...

When I joined the Air Force, it was off to Lackland AFB in San Antonio for basic training, six weeks.

My dad was stationed at "Fort Sam" in San Antonio. Not a bad place to be stationed.

CD

My dad was stationed at "Fort Sam" in San Antonio. Not a bad place to be stationed.

CD
I was at Randolph AFB in San Antonio for 18 months. The only time I ever went to For Sam was to see a dinner theater production of "The Bad Seed," at either the NCO Club or their Rec Center.

San Antonio was/is a real military town. Some of it has changed/consolidated since I was there, but at that time, there was For Sam (US Army), Lackland, Kelly, and Brooks (US Air Force), and Camp Bullis (US Marines) and maybe a couple I'm forgetting. When I got orders to the UK, I had to go up to Camp Bullis and (re)qualify with small arms and rifle, and I had to go back to Lackland (I think) to go through gas mask training again.

The number one thing I miss about San Antonio is all the good food and how cheap it was. Our favorite everyday place was Jim's, which really reminded me of our local Frisch's chain here, just with a Tex-Mex twist, and our favorite "fancy" place was The Old San Francisco, which was done up like an 1890's saloon. All the waitresses dressed like Kitty in Gunsmoke, and there was a giant block of cheese on the table to eat off of while you waited for your food, and I've never had a better baked potato anywhere.

There was a good German place in Castroville, not far out of town, and all the sausages in New Braunfels, and the peaches in Kerrville...we ate at some "romantic" place right in town, but it felt like being in the woods, very large grounds, and it's the first place I ever had mashed squash, and I loved it.

Ribs were dirt cheap, and our favorite place was "Al & Moe's" (get it?) out on I-10...two full racks of succulent ribs with two sides and iced tea for $13. There was also a little "they don't speak English" Mexican place near our apartment that was phenomenal, and there were always local Hispanic families selling the best foods from coolers on and off base. I had $1 egg burritos almost every morning from a guy who brought in several coolers in and sold out in no time.

One place I remember laughing my butt off in...we went to Gruene and ate a place called The Gristmill. Guess what? It was in an old Gristmill, and it was as untouched as possible, and the grinding stones were still there, and they had sacks of corn and wheat to add to the effect, and dozens of photos from years past, when it was a working gristmill.

The funny part: we were sitting in the bar area, waiting on our table, and a woman was looking all over, and she finally elbowed her husband and said, "Look at all this stuff...I wonder what this place used to be?" I'll remind you again that the name of the restaurant was...The Gristmill. :laugh:

I was at Randolph AFB in San Antonio for 18 months. The only time I ever went to For Sam was to see a dinner theater production of "The Bad Seed," at either the NCO Club or their Rec Center.

San Antonio was/is a real military town. Some of it has changed/consolidated since I was there, but at that time, there was For Sam (US Army), Lackland, Kelly, and Brooks (US Air Force), and Camp Bullis (US Marines) and maybe a couple I'm forgetting. When I got orders to the UK, I had to go up to Camp Bullis and (re)qualify with small arms and rifle, and I had to go back to Lackland (I think) to go through gas mask training again.

The number one thing I miss about San Antonio is all the good food and how cheap it was. Our favorite everyday place was Jim's, which really reminded me of our local Frisch's chain here, just with a Tex-Mex twist, and our favorite "fancy" place was The Old San Francisco, which was done up like an 1890's saloon. All the waitresses dressed like Kitty in Gunsmoke, and there was a giant block of cheese on the table to eat off of while you waited for your food, and I've never had a better baked potato anywhere.

There was a good German place in Castroville, not far out of town, and all the sausages in New Braunfels, and the peaches in Kerrville...we ate at some "romantic" place right in town, but it felt like being in the woods, very large grounds, and it's the first place I ever had mashed squash, and I loved it.

Ribs were dirt cheap, and our favorite place was "Al & Moe's" (get it?) out on I-10...two full racks of succulent ribs with two sides and iced tea for $13. There was also a little "they don't speak English" Mexican place near our apartment that was phenomenal, and there were always local Hispanic families selling the best foods from coolers on and off base. I had $1 egg burritos almost every morning from a guy who brought in several coolers in and sold out in no time.

One place I remember laughing my butt off in...we went to Gruene and ate a place called The Gristmill. Guess what? It was in an old Gristmill, and it was as untouched as possible, and the grinding stones were still there, and they had sacks of corn and wheat to add to the effect, and dozens of photos from years past, when it was a working gristmill.

The funny part: we were sitting in the bar area, waiting on our table, and a woman was looking all over, and she finally elbowed her husband and said, "Look at all this stuff...I wonder what this place used to be?" I'll remind you again that the name of the restaurant was...The Gristmill. :laugh:

Yep, San Antonio has great food, and you can still find lots of family-owned "hole-in-the-wall" joints around town, with great Mexican and TexMex. You can also still find guys with big coolers selling breakfast burritos, or tamales.

The old San Francisco was a small chain. There was one in Dallas many years ago. That kind of place went out of style. But, we now have Texas Roadhuse, which makes a pretty good steak for a reasonable price, without the Gunsmoke atmosphere. .

I've never been to Gruene, but have been to Luckenbach a few times. That's an interesting place. BTW, as you know but others won't, "Gruene" is pronounced "Green". :scratchhead:

CD

...then my brother showed up with his dog...

...and I ordered the sirloin. Despite the presentation, it was better than I expected.

He ordered the shrimp.
Tasty, what breed is your bro's dog? Face reminds me of a Shepard my sis use to have when she trained /rode horses. The dog helped keep the horses calm when traveling / showing. I want to say sis' dog was an Australian shepherd.

She was still living at home / shared bedroom with me when she got it and snuck it into our room without parents knowledge. Middle of night Dad comes in and says "OK, who has / where is the dog" ... Lol.. had to be there but, def remember that night like it was yesterday.

But, we now have Texas Roadhuse,

We have those here, along with a couple of similar chains, like Longhorn and Lone Star (though Lone Star may have shut down). I haven't been in one yet.

I loved the "Gunsmoke atmosphere." I remember at the time kind of blushing a bit, because I don't think there was a waitress in there under 50, and quite a few well past 60, and they were all wearing corsets that really drew attention to the cleavage and it kind of felt like finding out your grandmother was moonlighting as a Playboy bunny. :)

Tasty, what breed is your bro's dog?

That's one of a pair of Australian cattle dogs, also called blue heelers. They're very popular around here, and he's had a pair of heelers for the last 40+ years. I don't think there's anyone who's more of a dog person than my brother.

Back
Top Bottom