Vine Leaves

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:58 AM
I was thinking about various uses for leaves that we normally don't consider eating (like fig leaves) and remembered how many moons ago, I used to make Dolmades (stuffed vine leaves). Maybe it was an 80's fad in the UK. But you used to be able to buy vacuum sealed packs of (pre-cooked, I think) vine leaves in quite a few supermarkets back then. So I did a quick search and could only find one on-line supplier who sells them in jars. Waitrose seem to have ready made stuffed vine leaves but not just the leaves.

Then I got to thinking how else they could be used. To wrap fish in to bake could be wonderful, for example. I suppose I'm just going to have to order the rather expensive on-line jar! Anyone else used them?

I've only come across them stuffed tbh. But I have come across them (in Waitrose) both stuffed in a jar and in fresh plastic wrappings.
The only obvious place for buying them online was here
http://www.souschef.co.uk/vine-leaves.html

I found the same one. I've used them before but they are a bit pricey.

But you could try this. It listed a few places close to me that may stock them, however I am a touch suspect about it when it tells me Belfast is only 13 miles from where I live (in Cheshire!)
http://www.findthatingredient.com/uk/index.php?i=280&si=Vine leaves

Thanks, I'm going to check that out. I have seen them before in Waitrose but not recently. I checked them on line but they only had ready made stuffed vine leaves.

Stuffed vine leaves are a ingredient left in the the dark recesses of my tiny mind ,you can also wrap delicate fish in blanched lettuce ,or sea weeds along the same ideas

I was thinking about various uses for leaves that we normally don't consider eating (like fig leaves) and remembered how many moons ago, I used to make Dolmades (stuffed vine leaves).
I have eaten stuffed vine leaves but I've never cooked them. I do collect and dry fig leaves, which I use to make a tea, but they are also edible and a large fig leaf can be stuffed and cooked like a vine leaf. They are slightly laxative but consuming fig leaves is also supposed to help prevent diabetes.

I have eaten stuffed vine leaves but I've never cooked them. I do collect and dry fig leaves, which I use to make a tea, but they are also edible and a large fig leaf can be stuffed and cooked like a vine leaf. They are slightly laxative but consuming fig leaves is also supposed to help prevent diabetes.
You can also dry fig leaves, de-vein the and grind to a powder to add (sparingly) to desserts such as panacotta or ice-cream.

Being a tropical country, we have a variety of vine leaves here that can be used for cooking. There is this vine called Lando which has a sour taste that is very good for cooking fish. It is boiled in water and salt that will serve as soup for the freshwater fish like mudfish or catfish. I have tasted it once only because it only grows in the forest - I am a city person and I only have the occasion to visit a family friend in the forest area.

Back
Top Bottom