Vitamix - is it worth the money?

. And as I said, I reckon there are 2, maybe 3 other members on this site (who are currently active) who would actually need it and use it. Everyone else probably doesn't need it.

I'm wondering who....?

Well, I don't really need to make nut cheeses or nut butter or if I ever did it would be once in a blue moon. I can understand that a vitamix would do that much more efficiently than any other method. But unless I've missed something, what else can it do that I can't already do?

You say you use it two or three times a day sometimes or several times a week. What else are you using it for besides nuts?

I can absolutely understand that. Reliability and speed are paramount in a professional kitchen. But I'm still not sure what it does that I can't already do with a stick blender - or a stick blender plus passing through a mesh.
I love stick blenders, I have 2 at home. One is inexpensive and it's decent and the other is more professional, more expensive, more powerful and is my go to, it just does a better job. This progression is generally true with just about anything and the Vitamix is at the best end of good, better, best. If your happy with your stick blender then there's absolutely no reason to switch.

What else are you using it for besides nuts?
I don't have a stick blender or liquidiser. So it does all the same as that plus it handles everything that my vegan and occasional raw food diet covers. And on a bad day it makes the odd chocolate milkshake from home-made soya milk... :whistling: it sees plenty of use (we prefer home-made dairy free milk from which we make our own soya yoghurt which is eaten every day with breakfast).

Having had a cheaper alternative and struggled with it feeling that I couldn't justify the cost when I did finally buy one I can tell you that it is worth every penny/cent.

My old one was an Omniblend and I tried hard to tell myself that it did what I needed but it took time and effort to get to where I wanted things. Remember I'm allergic to dairy so make my own alternatives, cheese sauces, cashew cream, cheese made from almonds or cashews and so on. The old one finally broke about 4 or so years ago and couldn't be repaired. We'd brought it out from the UK to Australia which didn't help matters but it hag a short warranty and the motor went.

We did a lot of research, talked about cheaper vitamix models in the shop and so on.

Having it, it spends it's life on the counter in use 2 or 3 times a day some days, but more often only 2 or 3 times a week. They are not for just pureeing soups. That's a waste. They do considerably more than that.

Mine is mostly used for pureeing cashews with a minimal amount of water, or almonds and creating a completely smooth puree in the process. For a really hard cheese with no extra water after soaking though I have to move over to the other gadget on our counter, a Magimix Patissier (heavy duty food processor and mixer in one) which can create a much harder totally smooth cashew cheese, though I've only just established this and it does take it's time. Usually the Vitamix is the best option.

There are only 2 or 3 other members of this site that I can see actually needing and using one. None if them have yet replied to this thread.

View attachment 72202

We have the smaller containers for the Vitamix as well though they are less frequently used but they are useful. Can a stick blender do what I do with mine? absolutely not. Can a normal blender/liquidiser do what I do in this? No.

But you have to need to go beyond the realms of a standard blender for it to be justified.

So the big questions, am I glad I bought it? Yes. It's it expensive? Very definitely. Is it worth it? Yes it is worth every penny/cent and if I had to replace it (it has a10 year warranty) would I buy the same again? Yes without hesitation. But I use it's functions and need to be able to make a totally smooth paste from nuts, either in the form of a hard cheese, a softer cheese or a nut based cheese sauce. If you don't need that and don't make your own nut butters, you really don't need the power it has. And as I said, I reckon there are 2, maybe 3 other members on this site (who are currently active) who would actually need it and use it. Everyone else probably doesn't need it.

These were all made using either the Vitamix or the Magimix. Nothing else has a powerful enough motor to do this.

Oh, and we don't actually use it much to make a soup hot. All the components of the soup still need cooking separately. It is simply a reheat and puree feature rather than an actual cook my soup from scratch feature. So given that we don't actually like a seriously smooth soup full of air, we don't use it to reheat the soup. The stove is just as good for that. But we do use the auto clean feature.

My Vitamix blender came yesterday!! I'll post some pics of it as soon as the battery for the camera is charged. It is in red. I'v finally joined the world of happy living from the many happy people who have always wanted a Vitamix blender!!! The first thing that I'm going to make with it is a smoothie!! Ok, here are the pics!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Years ago, only the top high-end models of Vitamix blenders had the kill switch. Now the Ascent models feature it also!! All 3 models!! This helps keep young children from accidentally turning the machine on!! As long as they don't know where it is on the machine. Hah!! :whistling:

Last edited:
They are rather very expensive. I couldn't really justify one. I use a (£20) stick blender for purées and soups. I'd really like to know what this machine does that I can't already do. I'm sure there has to be something...

You can make hot soups, sauces & gravies right in the container without a stove. The motor spins the bade so fast that it creates the friction needed to heat up the soup to near-boiling status.

It takes on whole fruits & veggies to pulverize them to liquid consistency. You can also grind coffee beans, wheat & other grains to make flour. You don't need a grain mill. You can make ice cream & smoothies. It pulverizes the seeds in citrus fruits.

It is said to be 13 kitchen appliances in one. The motor has 2.2 peak hp. more powerful than in any ordinary blender. Bar none!

I was buying a new blender about every 2 years! You can stand on the container (not that you would do that), bounce up & down, & it won't break! It'll be the last blender that you'll ever have to buy again in life!! If you can remember anything, then remember this; Nothing can hide from a Vitamix blender!! No-name brands can talk the talk, but they can't walk the walk!! Hah!! :whistling:

Last edited:
And for those who are wondering, yes, Vitamix will pay for both ways if your unit ever needs to be repaired. Other co's only pay for one way or none at all!! Vitamix wants you to be happy with the product!!

Last edited:
We just go with the basic model, making soup et al is of no use to me or whether my phone can access the on and off switch....just more to go wrong and restaurants handle equipment without fuss or finesse.

A bar / restaurant that I sometimes go to uses a Vitamix machine to make frozen drinks.

Last edited:
They are rather very expensive. I couldn't really justify one. I use a (£20) stick blender for purées and soups. I'd really like to know what this machine does that I can't already do. I'm sure there has to be something...

That used to be MY theory years ago. But I figure that the longer I wait, the more expensive they'll become. It'll pay for itself in the years to come. I just don't think that there's any ordinary blender that's out there that can measure up. I thought long & hard about this. I was just throwing money away buying cheap blenders that have wimpy pea-brain motors! Vitamix's biggest selling point IS its motor. Without it, the machine isn't worth it. Buy quality once, or buy junk forever!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom