Vongole (clams or cockles) and grit

Roger Burton

Local time
2:19 PM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Not often but sometimes I try and make spaghetti vongole, I really like it, if I get it right, but have often found just throwing the scrubbed clams in with the pasta I end up crunching on some grit, not very pleasant ... anyone any experience or suggestions please ?

Not often but sometimes I try and make spaghetti vongole, I really like it, if I get it right, but have often found just throwing the scrubbed clams in with the pasta I end up crunching on some grit, not very pleasant ... anyone any experience or suggestions please ?

Clams have to be purged - that means putting them in salted water - this is what Great British Chef's website has to say.

Clams need to be soaked in heavily salted (enough salt to taste like sea water) cold water for 20 minutes, in which time the clams will naturally filter out any grit and sand. If they are particularly sandy, repeat the process with a fresh batch of salted water. After this process, leave to soak in fresh, unsalted cold water for 10 minutes to rinse out any excess salt they have absorbed.

I usually purge them in not so heavily salted water for 20 mins and I don't then put them in unsalted water - just use them straight away. I find this has always worked for me. But whatever method you use - they need to be purged.

Absolutely. Any shellfish that bury themselves in sand/mud need to be purged, or you will be eating crunchy shellfish. Use a big pot with a small amount of shellfish -- don't overcrowd them or you will defeat the purpose.

CD

Absolutely. Any shellfish that bury themselves in sand/mud need to be purged, or you will be eating crunchy shellfish. Use a big pot with a small amount of shellfish -- don't overcrowd them or you will defeat the purpose.

BTW, for shellfish like crawfish, a popular food down here, it takes a lot longer than 20 minutes, because the crawfish "innards" need to be purged.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - a long time ago now, from 2000-2003. Actually lived north of Napoli and the place is totally crazy but the food . .. oh my god it often brought me to emotional tears.

Hi - a long time ago now, from 2000-2003. Actually lived north of Napoli and the place is totally crazy but the food . .. oh my god it often brought me to emotional tears.
OK so while now. Si Rich Napoli is crazy it never stop. The food is special I happy you enjoy, I proud it make you feel this way. Did you think may be go again sometime? I say many people some love Napoli some hate.
I try get home twice year more if can. My bambini we take when 11 - 8- 8 an 6, Antonio an Allessandro twin. Luca is eldest Maria is younger. They never stop eat! Luca now live Napoli with family. Even now I close eye an I smell street food. Our food like us, bold, vibrant an full life. May I ask you like Napulitani people? Did you be for day for SSC play?
We loud si, we some say brash. But we warm an welcome all.

Sarana x

OK so while now. Si Rich Napoli is crazy it never stop. The food is special I happy you enjoy, I proud it make you feel this way. Did you think may be go again sometime? I say many people some love Napoli some hate.
I try get home twice year more if can. My bambini we take when 11 - 8- 8 an 6, Antonio an Allessandro twin. Luca is eldest Maria is younger. They never stop eat! Luca now live Napoli with family. Even now I close eye an I smell street food. Our food like us, bold, vibrant an full life. May I ask you like Napulitani people? Did you be for day for SSC play?
We loud si, we some say brash. But we warm an welcome all.

Sarana x
Sarana

I used used to say Napoli got under my skin but I now say it took some of my heart. I often go back and usually take air BnB and was supposed to go in April but this damn even happened and all was cancelled. I simply love your city and it brings both happiness and sadness at the same time. I always find the people warm, and yes loud etc and so so friendly but I met many younger Neopolitans all leaving for work to Milano or even UK and Germany due to the lack of prospects due to you know why; corruption. Napoli could explode as a centre and when I go back it still seems to be the same problem. I met recently someone who landed on a cruise ship on the Amalfi and the Captain told them not to go to Napoli centre, visit Pompei etc but do not go into the centre as its too dangerous and this is to a ship of 1000s who all then go home and tell all their friends on social media and this hits this lovely city meaning many do not get to taste true Neopolitan cuisine or see this amazing city. In a good way though this keeps the restaurant prices low and the crowds of tourists down compared to Rome but still, this could help the economy so much. I am 52 and actually and thinking of buying a summer residence in 5 years north Taranto ie Puglia in semi retirement and living the dream . . but thats another story!!!

Sarana

I used used to say Napoli got under my skin but I now say it took some of my heart. I often go back and usually take air BnB and was supposed to go in April but this damn even happened and all was cancelled. I simply love your city and it brings both happiness and sadness at the same time. I always find the people warm, and yes loud etc and so so friendly but I met many younger Neopolitans all leaving for work to Milano or even UK and Germany due to the lack of prospects due to you know why; corruption. Napoli could explode as a centre and when I go back it still seems to be the same problem. I met recently someone who landed on a cruise ship on the Amalfi and the Captain told them not to go to Napoli centre, visit Pompei etc but do not go into the centre as its too dangerous and this is to a ship of 1000s who all then go home and tell all their friends on social media and this hits this lovely city meaning many do not get to taste true Neopolitan cuisine or see this amazing city. In a good way though this keeps the restaurant prices low and the crowds of tourists down compared to Rome but still, this could help the economy so much. I am 52 and actually and thinking of buying a summer residence in 5 years north Taranto ie Puglia in semi retirement and living the dream . . but thats another story!!!
Ciao Rich,
This true, corruption has always been problem in Napoli, in many way corrupt official worse than Camorra. Tourist have been told not go to Napoli for long time now, as you say economy suffer. Si even when I young woman people leave to get job.
Napoli is beautiful, an we have many beautiful things that tourist should see, it shame when tourist told not go to Napoli. As you say social media make world think Napoli dangerous. Napoli no more dangerous than other big city. Si we warm an very friendly is way we are. I hope once this hell over you go again. I wish you good luck with find house.
Stay safe stay well,
Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom