Recipe Voodoo Chilli

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
6:42 AM
Ingredients
1 pound Ground Chuck
1 Green Bell Pepper, Chopped (if you prefer another color that works too)
1 Vidalia Onion, Chopped
1 Jalapeno, Seeded and Minced
2 Fresh Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
1 Can Sweet Whole Kernel Corn, Drained
1 Can Black Beans, Drained
1 Can Navy Beans, Drained
1 Can Original Rotelle, Slightly Drained leaving some juice
1/2 to 3/4 Can Cheap Beer(depending on how liquidy you like your chili)
1 tablespoon Light Brown Sugar
3/4 tablespoon Ground Cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons Chili Powder
1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes
3 teaspoons Kosher Salt
3 teaspoons Cracked Black Pepper
3 teaspoons Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
2 Dried Bay Leaves

Method
  • Heat Dutch Oven on stove top at medium heat. Melt butter and add onions, garlic, jalapeno and bell peppers. Cook until almost soft, roughly 4-5 minutes.
  • In a small bowl, season ground chuck with 2 tsp. kosher salt, 2 tsp. cracked black pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Mix to combine.
  • Add ground chuck to onion mixture and mix together. Use a mash potato masher to break up ground chuck. Cook ground chuck until no longer pink. Drain once cooked and return to dutch oven.
  • Add corn, black beans, navy beans, rotelle and mix. Once combined add remaining teaspoons of salt & pepper, chili powder, cumin, brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Mix to combine.
  • Finally add the cheap beer and bay leaves. Stir everything together and cook on low heat for at least 3 hours.
  • Once cooked, taste and add any extra spice you may want...maybe a little hot sauce or more chili powder. Serve warm with grated sharp cheddar, sour cream and chopped green onions.

Serves 6-8

A real camp fire cook up with wagon wheel pasta,
Also never heard haricot blanc called navy beans for about 20 years

Chili with the addition of beer, now this sounds intriguing!

I'm a big fan of chili but usually have it as a fall/winter dish more so than in summer. However, I'm going to copy down this recipe and give it a whirl a bit later in the year, I think!

You know, looking at this recipe I wondered if the can of Rotelle was a misprint in the original recipe for Rotel. Rotelle, as @Berties points out, is wagon wheel shaped pasta. I was trying to imagine what the the can of Rotelle would be like. Rather like tins of cooked pasta shapes in tomato sauce that we get in the UK (which don't resemble any Italian pasta dish!)? Somehow this didn't seem right! Or could it be a can of Rotel. Rotel is canned tomatoes with a hint of chilli (a Southern favourite in the US). Given that the recipe calls for Vidalia onion, and that turns out to be a variety of onion grown in Georgia, it would seem this is a Southern style recipe so Rotel would be more logical and would provide the 'gravy' (or sauce) for the chilli. Otherwise, given the other ingredients including beer, I think you'd end up with a rather insipid watery dish.

All that aside, I wonder why its Voodoo chilli?

You know, looking at this recipe I wondered if the can of Rotelle was a misprint in the original recipe for Rotel. Rotelle, as @Berties points out, is wagon wheel shaped pasta. I was trying to imagine what the the can of Rotelle would be like. Rather like tins of cooked pasta shapes in tomato sauce that we get in the UK (which don't resemble any Italian pasta dish!)? Somehow this didn't seem right! Or could it be a can of Rotel. Rotel is canned tomatoes with a hint of chilli (a Southern favourite in the US). Given that the recipe calls for Vidalia onion, and that turns out to be a variety of onion grown in Georgia, it would seem this is a Southern style recipe so Rotel would be more logical and would provide the 'gravy' (or sauce) for the chilli. Otherwise, given the other ingredients including beer, I think you'd end up with a rather insipid watery dish.

All that aside, I wonder why its Voodoo chilli?
Scouts wouldn't normally be given beer on camps.

Back
Top Bottom