Wanted: Herb or Spice Jars

You would also be proud - just purchased an alternative to the plastic veg bags at the supermarket, made from recycled plastic bottles. A suppliment to the Onya bag we took everywhere with us, and now have 6 of. all the weekly shopping fits into those 6 bags, but that might just put you out of a job cutting back on all that packaging and waste...:whistling:

Ooh, if you've got a bag habit, you ought to see the shopping bags NT and I make out of the fabric off broken brollies....

We do despair of some of the packaging and 'convenience' stuff we see. One of my pets hates used to be the little individual portion pots of that drinking/good bacteria yoghurt - why couldn't they just sell it in big bottles, and tell people how much to drink daily (my theory is that the individual measured 'dose' was all part of the placebo effect to make people think it's proper medicine). But then I found a company that will recycle Actimel bottles and pay for them (they'll pay to a charity of choice, and hey! we're a charity!), so now we collect them separately from other plastic bottles, send them off (flattened!) and get 2p each for them! :wink:

http://www.terracycle.co.uk/en-UK/

Garrgh! Annoying!

Lots of spice jars today, but the people putting them out were the efficient sort who take the lids off and throw them away separately! Also, most of them were narrow necked, but I did find a couple of suitable ones with lids anyway.

Still looking!

Garrgh! Annoying!

Lots of spice jars today, but the people putting them out were the efficient sort who take the lids off and throw them away separately! Also, most of them were narrow necked, but I did find a couple of suitable ones with lids anyway.

Still looking!

Hi & thanks. Our recycling lot actually return anything they don't like (like jars with lids on) or plastic that can't be recycled, and also any black plastic (even if it can be recycled), so I'm also one of those frustrating people as well! Plastic goes with metal, glass goes with paper in our 2 boxes... the result no jars have lids!
thank you.

Hi & thanks. Our recycling lot actually return anything they don't like (like jars with lids on) or plastic that can't be recycled, and also any black plastic (even if it can be recycled), so I'm also one of those frustrating people as well! Plastic goes with metal, glass goes with paper in our 2 boxes... the result no jars have lids!
thank you.

We do leave behind stuff that isn't recyclable, but a few steel jar lids or plastic lids mixed in with glass aren't a problem for us (at least our merchants don't seem bothered, and we command good prices for the quality of our materials).

The annoying thing was that they'd recycled the jars, but not the lids - if the lids had been there, separate, I'd have married them all up again! I like sorting stuff like that out :)

I LOVE this thread!

I have a penchant for recycling jars and containers of sorts - especially for cupboard goods! Sadly, I recycled a load when I packed up and moved - however, I usually build up a good supply of them. Great for jams and pickles as well- in fact my brother gave me that coffee jar a few days ago as it was sat in his cupboard for a long while!

Well, I've got three carrier bagfuls at work, and as NT is over this weekend, I'll load them into his car and they can be taken over the Pennines ready for collection.

They are in varying states of clean - probably best to wash and sterilise the lot. Some of the spice jars may be too narrow necked, but there are a good few Barts ones....

The trouble now, is stopping! If more are required, I'll be able to look for them.

Well, I've got three carrier bagfuls at work, and as NT is over this weekend, I'll load them into his car and they can be taken over the Pennines ready for collection.

They are in varying states of clean - probably best to wash and sterilise the lot. Some of the spice jars may be too narrow necked, but there are a good few Barts ones....

The trouble now, is stopping! If more are required, I'll be able to look for them.

thank you. not sure what is happening this weekend other than hoping to get out on my first club run on sunday, and the next weekend is still free. my mum is off to spain tomorrow with a list of spices to bring home!

Did you find out if that solar panel was any use?

thank you. not sure what is happening this weekend other than hoping to get out on my first club run on sunday, and the next weekend is still free. my mum is off to spain tomorrow with a list of spices to bring home!

Did you find out if that solar panel was any use?

Well, no worries, once they are all over at NT's they can sit there until we can arrange something. NT won't be back over in Manc until Tuesday next week, and we tend to decide who goes where at weekends ad hoc unless we have specific events. NT is around during the week anyway.

I think it's a no to the solar panel, thanks!

Well, we're not long back from delivering three bagfulls of assorted jars and being fed pancakes and scones in return, and going for a nice stroll after lunch. Thanks for the excellent hospitality!

Well, we're not long back from delivering three bagfulls of assorted jars and being fed pancakes and scones in return, and going for a nice stroll after lunch. Thanks for the excellent hospitality!

It is rather like Christmas at the moment... lots of goodies to open and unwrap/de-label... jars & lids are already soaking for their 'main wash'... next stop, a touch of bleach and then the drier! thank you and great to meet you.

No worries. We like to have something to collect for a special reason, it's a bit of added interest. :)

This is the current state of affairs - I would say end result - but I'm not sure it will last long. My mother is bringning me back loads of spices from Tenerife, so I suspect chaos will resume its normal path soon, but I would like to say - thank you. I can now get the teaspoon into quite a few more containers and everything is out of plastic bags!
thank you.
IMG_4954.JPG

I think that recycling jars is a great thing. I have never done this to can foods but I am sure it works. My daughter and I collect these jars. We use them to store crafting items in. We have a button jar and even a jar to store cotton balls and earrings in.

Back
Top Bottom