Wanted: Lemon (Preservation) Recipes

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:35 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm needing recipe ideas for lemons. Ideally a method of preserving them either as a chutney, dairy free curd, pickle, cordial etc

My lemon tree is ripening sooner than expected because of recent rainfall and increased light due to me cutting back a tree that prevented me from using the washing line (it was embedded in it.)

20180507135437_IMG_0567.JPG

20180507135502_IMG_0569.JPG

20180507135512_IMG_0570.JPG

As you can see in going to have a lot of them even after giving away several kilos.

I've got a batch of preserved lemons going right now using a new recipe that uses a bit of sugar besides the salt. They should be ready to use within a couple of weeks.

We have a recipe for limoncello that is pretty darn good. It uses lots of zest, no juice. I can post if you are interested but it uses grain alcohol, which can be hard to find. I don't like the ones with vodka, as it does have a taste and alcohol content isn't high enough to keep final product from freezing. Ours just gets to a syrup like consistency in the freezer. We freeze the juice if we even bother to keep it, though you can use it for cleaning and cosmetic purposes, as well as cooking obviously.

I've got a batch of preserved lemons going right now using a new recipe that uses a bit of sugar besides the salt. They should be ready to use within a couple of weeks.

We have a recipe for limoncello that is pretty darn good. It uses lots of zest, no juice. I can post if you are interested but it uses grain alcohol, which can be hard to find. I don't like the ones with vodka, as it does have a taste and alcohol content isn't high enough to keep final product from freezing. Ours just gets to a syrup like consistency in the freezer. We freeze the juice if we even bother to keep it, though you can use it for cleaning and cosmetic purposes, as well as cooking obviously.

Can you post the first part please using sugar. I have frozen lemon juice in the freezer ATM.

Russ

Just to clarify, I'm not only looking at preserved lemons, but other ways of using lemons up as well. I've come across one recipe online that calls for a kilo of honey for every kilo of lemons (remember sugar is a preservative as well) to make a cordial and when I make the Shakers Lemon Pie you sliced the lemons up and sprinkled sugar over them then left them for 24 hrs to macerate. That was actually quite surprising to me but we both loved the simplicity of the pie and will make it again. I'm also keen to come up with a dairy free lemon curd recipe because I love lemon curd and used to make loads of it when I could eat dairy.

Can someone tell me, once I have made preserved lemons, add a veggan (vegan plus eggs and occasionally honey, or more accurately a vegetarian minus dairy) what do I use them for?

Try googling "preserved lemon vegetarian" . You'll get lots of results. I looked at several of the recipes, and also the ideas for using them, and most were vegan as well, but just didn't use that term. Later today, I'll look through the Persian cookbook as it had quite a few recipes that used preserved lemons, hence me starting a batch, and also quite a few vegetarian ones, though I didn't notice if they were vegan.

Same for the curd, "dairy free lemon curd" . A lot of them use egg yolks, but there are some totally vegan using coconut milk, https://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-lemon-curd/ being one.

Last edited:
Can you post the first part please using sugar. I have frozen lemon juice in the freezer ATM.

Russ

I'm not sure what you are asking given the comment about frozen lemon juice. Preserved lemons are whole lemons and the limoncello uses just the zest. But, the new recipe I am using for preserved lemons is https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/how-to-make-preserved-lemons.html . They should be ready soon.

Craig will be posting the limoncello recipe as he's using the computer where the recipe files are at.

We need to amend the recipe a bit. You can keep the bottles at room temp.

We also started using a microplane to zest. You want the lemon to still be a very, very pale lemon color when you are done zesting. You won't have gotten any pith that way.

Try googling "preserved lemon vegetarian" . You'll get lots of results. I looked at several of the recipes, and also the ideas for using them, and most were vegan as well, but just didn't use that term. Later today, I'll look through the Persian cookbook as it had quite a few recipes that used preserved lemons, hence me starting a batch, and also quite a few vegetarian ones, though I didn't notice if they were vegan.

Same for the curd, "dairy free lemon curd" . A lot of them use egg yolks, but there are some totally vegan using coconut milk, https://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-lemon-curd/ being one.
I did a search without the vegetarian qualifier, and found this excellent list of recipes:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshow/preserved-lemon-slideshow

Some have meat, but most don't. And, it gives me a cohesive use for my preserved lemons.

Usually when I ask for recipes (rather than using a search engine myself) I'm asking for member recommendations. There are loads of very crap recipes out there and I'd much rather make a recipe veggan (not vegan) that a member recommends than find a recipe via Google search and try it only to find its mediocre at best.

I - 750 ml bottle of grain alcohol or Everclear
Thank you. I'll copy the post over to a thread by itself if you haven't already done that otherwise in time members won't necessarily find it hidden in this thread.

But a quick question. And yes, I could google this but I might not be the only one asking themselves this, what's Everclear please? (I've never drunk anything past whisky or dark ales) thank you.

Everclear is a brand name of grain alcohol.

Since I rarely cook vegetarian, much less vegan recipes, as Craig prefers to have some kind of animal protein, it's nearly impossible for me to give personal recommendations. However, I quite often search for recipes when we are looking for something different and have gotten my "fail" rate down to extremely low by finding sites/blogs that have proven reliable in the past or have enough favorable reviews to make it worth a try. For both searches, there were results from a site/? magazine called Vegetarian Times. I would hope that would be a reliable site, particularly if it is a widely published magazine. BUT, the biggest thing is that if you aren't willing to take a chance on new recipes, you'll never find any new favorites...

Last edited:
Satnav, what you say is true, I've giggled lots of recipes only to find out over half are nil. I tend to work on if it's good I record onto my I pad and print it off and it goes in my file of tried and tested. If I get a failure I adapt it again and again until I got it right. Like the samosas I made a couple of weeks ago. My kids were here last sundry and they tried both types I made and gave me suggestions. One suggestion was mash the potato and peas a bit up sm flavour is more spread. Only a minor thing , but I'll adapt to get it perfect. And the beef mince ones they wanted a bit more heat, so next batch I'll add an extra chilly. Then if everyone's happy I'll print it out for my files. My daughter is a very good cook also, so she knows she will inherit my recipes.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom