'Wants' or 'would likes'?

I use a phone and a laptop - both work well.

If I post a picture, I use my gallery in both my devices; "copy and paste" is too confusing for me, and it takes ages to type out every single coded thingies... link, that's the word. That's why my gallery comes in handy.

OK, since you asked lol

I find it hard sometime to figure out where to post a recipe. There are 12 categories in your recipe section. Could you make it more? And maybe use that section just for recipes and take out the discussion? There is a place for discussion of food isn't there?

Example: baking, bread and cake recipes and discussion. Explore our baking, bread making and cakes forum, including recipes for and discussion about wholemeal loaf, multigrain bread, brioche, cakes, buns, cupcakes, muffins, pies, cookies, and lots more.

Why are cakes, cupcakes, pies, cookies here and not in dessert? Is it a US/UK difference?

Example: baking, bread and cake recipes and discussion. Explore our baking, bread making and cakes forum, including recipes for and discussion about wholemeal loaf, multigrain bread, brioche, cakes, buns, cupcakes, muffins, pies, cookies, and lots more.

Why are cakes, cupcakes, pies, cookies here and not in dessert? Is it a US/UK difference?
Not speaking for the staff, but cakes and pies can be savory or sweet. I wouldn't consider cookies a dessert, really; like, if I asked "What's for dessert?" I wouldn't expect to hear "Cookies!" At best, they're a snack, but maybe that's just me.

What do they all have in common, though?...they get baked (yeah, I know there are fried pies...).

Not speaking for the staff, but cakes and pies can be savory or sweet. I wouldn't consider cookies a dessert, really; like, if I asked "What's for dessert?" I wouldn't expect to hear "Cookies!" At best, they're a snack, but maybe that's just me.

What do they all have in common, though?...they get baked (yeah, I know there are fried pies...).

Wouldn't those kind of pies go under the ingredient, like meat, vegetables. If fruit, they should go under dessert. Cookies are usually sweet, I think that is a dessert. Cakes, like pancakes, of course would go under Breads and such.

Wouldn't those kind of pies go under the ingredient, like meat, vegetables. If fruit, they should go under dessert. Cookies are usually sweet, I think that is a dessert. Cakes, like pancakes, of course would go under Breads and such.
For me, I'd like having all my pie recipes together, sweet or savory. It's how a cookbook is organized - if I go to Pies, it has all the pies.

But, as is true in all of life - TMTOWTDI*.

*There's More Than One Way To Do It.

For me, I'd like having all my pie recipes together, sweet or savory. It's how a cookbook is organized - if I go to Pies, it has all the pies.

But, as is true in all of life - TMTOWTDI*.

*There's More Than One Way To Do It.
for a savory pie, I would go to Meat/Beef/ground/pies or pork or..............I just like all my meat together in their binders. lol TETO*
*to each their own lol

Yep! All those things are classified as baking in the UK. Desserts are things served as a last course in a meal. Cookies (biscuits in the UK) are snacks and wouldn't be classified as a dessert.

The categories aren't water-tight and never could be. There are inevitably going to be dishes which fit into multiple categories. Pies can go under ingredient or under baking. That can't be avoided, whatever the categories, because dishes have multiple ingredients and sometimes multiple methods of cooking in one recipe.

It really isn't very important where something is posted as long as its not obviously in the wrong place - what is more important is using 'tags' because they will show up in a search. For example, its important that all recipes for steak pies are tagged 'steak' and 'pie', wherever they are posted. That way, if someone searches for a 'steak pie' those recipes will show up.

Also if I don't list these things in the description, Google indexing won't send people who search of say brioche, to our site because brioche isn't listed. So the description is an extension of the title of the sub-forum.

Plus, those prefixes, recipe, recipe&video are all filters. So go to the baking forum, click on any recipe tag itself (or use the filter button which is new) and you'll see only the recipes in that sub-forum. It's in the How do I...? guide.

Here How to add "Recipe" to your recipe's title

Also if I don't list these things in the description, Google indexing won't send people who search of say brioche, to our site because brioche isn't listed. So the description is an extension of the title of the sub-forum.

Plus, those prefixes, recipe, recipe&video are all filters. So go to the baking forum, click on any recipe tag itself (or use the filter button which is new) and you'll see only the recipes in that sub-forum. It's in the How do I...? guide.

Here How to add "Recipe" to your recipe's title
I hope I've been doing that right. lol

There are 12 categories in your recipe section. Could you make it more?
We've had lots more in the past and it just didn't work out. People found it more confusing, not less. We did originally have 2 areas, one for recipes and one for talk. Again it didn't work. Why separate instructions on how to cook beef from recipes for beef?
So the aim is to pick the most appropriate sub-forum. Steak and vegetable pie could go under Meat and Poultry or if vegetables were the dominating force in the pie, Vegetables, Salads and Mushrooms or it could go under Baking, Bread Making and Cakes. But not all pies are totally encased in pastry, some only have a top crust of pastry, some like Shepherd's Pie don't even have that and whilst go into the oven, aren't really for that category. It wouldn't be wrong, it would just not be the most appropriate. Now if I made it vegan as well, with say vegan mince beef (meat replacement that is not tvp or soya etc and if fresh and cooks exactly like mince beef) would it be best off in vegetable, salads and mushrooms or the dedicated vegan and vegetarian sub-forum? It's a case of the person who makes it, making a judgment call, whats the key ingredient or criteria of that recipe? The pie or the meat and if someone was looking for a beef pie would they look in meat and poultry or baking?

It's why I have this thread going here. Forum Descriptions . But I have to list ideas for the contents of that sub-forum as keywords in the description. So, and this is where life gets interesting, if under meat and poultry, I don't list chicken for instance, someone searching Google for a 'chicken recipe' won't get directed to our forum. If they searched for poultry recipe, and I had both recipe and poultry in the description, they'd get sent here. So, I have to list the major meats, birds, etc in the description. I have to say discussion, recipe (which covers recipes), I have to say talk (covers chat) and so on.
The same with baking, plus the description had a maximum length that Google looks at. After that whilst us humans may take notice, it doesn't and if people don't find the site when they search for a recipe or are looking for help, we won't survive as a forum.

Tags, also allow for searching across forums. You can click on any tag and see everything else that has that tag. Under advanced search, there is the option to search on tags, so if you specifically wanted a recipe with mushrooms and beef, you can search on those 2 tags. And tags help with the Google indexing as well, so if something isn't in the most appropriate sub-forum, it doesn't matter too much.

But if you do see something clearly in the wrong forum, like a recipe in the cafe, or a hello thread in vegan and vegetarian, then use the report button and just tell us and the first moderator to read the report can move it accordingly. And that's nothing stopping you reporting your own post to ask if it is in the best place.

First, and foremost, kudos. The site looks great and loving the colors too. Lots of bells & whistles. Appreciate that you ask what we would like to see. So, please don't see input as a negative, merely request/suggestion.
I always go to new posts, and didn't realize the lightening bolt was for new posts. Perhaps labelling it would help newcomers navigate around the site better. I like to keep things simple, i.e. sharing a recipe w/o cross references, etc. I found it complicated. Tags. I like them simple - perhaps 3 tops. Maybe this is a way for Google to find & bring more traffic to the site? Unsure. Do multiple tags help? I don't use all the bells & whistles. Rarely send a personal message. The word conversations threw me, but I figured it out. Also didn't see a way to delete them. There are other feature s I don't use - leaving a message on someone's page? Don't know if more features cost more money. Re food topics, perhaps a pic of the food. Not necessary, but would add more color. For me, the simpler to navigate, the better. Looking forward to seeing the new home page too. Thanks for listening, and all the hard work you do.
and didn't realize the lightening bolt was for new posts.

I wondered what that was.

Back
Top Bottom