"Weird" Ingredients You've Eaten Or Cooked WIth

Jade

Veteran
Local time
12:39 AM
I'm honestly not that adventurous when it comes to food. I rarely venture out of the common meats and the ingredients I've grown used to. I will give a few dishes a try, though, provided I'm in the right mood, but in most cases, I don't really see much point in it, personally, as I'm happier with more conventional and therefore comfortable dishes.

That said, the only weird food I've eaten so far is frogs legs (breaded and deep fried), and although it was still very tasty, like I said, it's hardly tasty enough above all other things I've tasted to make me want to seek it out, so I don't. I know that in some cultures, horse meat is okay to eat, and in some, even dogs. I've even seen Andrew Zimmern eat at a restaurant that served bear meat once, and that admittedly made me curious.

Anyway, which are the weirdest foods you have eaten or cooked with? I'd love to hear about our members' experiences.

I didn't actually cook with it - I was about seven or eight years old at the time - but my grandmother did once trick me into eating a cow's tongue.

I took a bite of what I thought was a piece of leftover steak from a meat platter. While I did she was looking at me with absolute glee in her eyes, struggling to keep her laugh in, the evil woman. It was only as I was chewing happily on the tongue that she told me exactly what it was. Horrified, I spat it out and went to brush my teeth. She giggled at me for three days straight.

That was the grossest thing ever ate.

I don't think I've eaten anything too weird. My sister is grossed out by all the green smoothies and seaweed I eat. I try to eat a lot of fermented foods as well. But I don't think any of it is that strange, at least to me. I'm a vegetarian so I eat a lot of imitation meats like hotdogs, burgers, meatballs, etc. I drink beet juice sometimes for the health benefits. I tried to figure out ways to make brewers yeast taste acceptable. But I was unsuccessful.

Back
Top Bottom