Were You Trained or Did You Self Learn To Cook (Poll)

Were You Trained or Did You Self Learn To Cook

• Total voters

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
9:55 PM
If you were trained, what as? - a chef, short order cook, saucier, etc.

If you were trained, how do you feel about those who claim to be self-learned?

I am self-learned and never took any training in the culinary arts. I figure I do all right and there is nobody to cook for me, so I must do it myself.

At CookingBites, I am grateful to have the professionals share their talents via their threads and posts. They are truly, enlightening and I have learned much from being a CB member.

Always been interested in cooking, I even tried to get an apprenticeship with nz army. But the principal of my high school was tied up with terratorials ( weekend army)
He got me turned down. Even bragged about it at high school.
Anywho I changed my career.
Then self taught right up til now. I Will try time after time until I get my recipes right. I've learnt quite a lot on this board and others.

Russ

Self-taught, though I have attended several classes, though most of those were more demo than hands-on.

No one in my family, not even my mom or my grandmom, ever stood next to me and said, "First do this, now do that..."

Thank god for cookbooks, TV cooking shows, and eventually, the internet. 🙏

Always been interested in cooking, I even tried to get an apprenticeship with nz army. But the principal of my high school was tied up with terratorials ( weekend army)
He got me turned down. Even bragged about it at high school.
Anywho I changed my career.
Then self taught right up til now. I Will try time after time until I get my recipes right. I've learnt quite a lot on this board and others.

Russ

Self-taught. I just blundered on in there, taught myself some knife skills ( and learned how sharp the damn things are), started cooking loads and loads of chutneys, sauces, jams and pickles from recipes, then started learning about matching flavours, pairing ingredients, etc.
I´ve actually written down every recipe I´ve ever tried (or failed) and then added notes when I´ve made them again. More salt; not enough sugar, too intense, less vinegar, more spices, cook more slowly, hotter oven.."
I went to all the Xmas, Easter, Mother´s Day, Gourmet bazaars with my stuff. Then I went to an "International Gourmet Festival". People said " Hey, but you´re not a chef!!" and I replied " I don´t give a damn - I consider my stuff is good, so let´s give it a go!"

Spent a lot of time in the kitchen with my Grandmother and Aunt growing up. Part time jobs going to Uni in restaurants. Then did a 2 yr nutrition & culinary management at a highly respected culinary school. Travelled for a couple of years cooking in different Countries. Culinary school is not necessary, cooking classes should be a fun diversion.

Self taught although I learned to cook by watching my mother. She was not professionally trained but followed the likes of Philip Harben and Gayelord Hauser for her inspiration back in the 1960s. I started buying and cooking my own food when I was 17 years old and developed a liking for seeking out healthy raw ingredients to create my meals.

Self taught, with parental tutoring on some basics (and Mom and I making Christmas cookies). Took a class in Greek cooking and one in Indian cooking, but those were just one day events. A lot of the parental cooking was just observing - they both loved to cook, and so there was only room for me to observe most of the time. (AND be sent to do the dishes....)

There's an option missing. I learnt to cook from my dear old mum and thereafter my first wife. Not really self taught but neither was I "trained".
I second this notion.
Its not entirely fair to say I am self-taught when I had Mom and a few aunts to offer guidance.
I would not say I was "trained" either, for the same reason I would never give into hubris and call myself "chef": because I never attended formal cooking lessons or culinary school.

I would never give into hubris and call myself "chef": because I never attended formal cooking lessons or culinary school.
I like the way one of the cooks on ATK defined it (paraphrasing): "If I'm in charge of the kitchen, I'm the chef. If someone else is in charge, I'm a cook. At home, I'm the chef, but here (meaning the studio kitchen) I'm a cook."

Back
Top Bottom