What’s your favourite walk?

Govetts Leap is in the Blue Mountains National Park and is accessed at Blackheath - there are trails all through the mountains - the official ones are very well marked with handrails and stairs cut into them.

This walk was just to the first lookout - 1.5km down. My fitness tracker counted 31 flights of stairs climbed on the way back. My calves absolutely agreed for the next 4 days.

DCA776E1-27AB-4AAD-B9C3-DB70C522ADB9.jpeg

79F8BE62-FCB2-426F-9EF0-58EABB09C1AA.jpeg

CBCF23FE-5B88-457C-A85B-F83E21C29E11.jpeg

You cross the falls at the top about 50 metres in from the cliff edge. There are big concrete & stone blocks so that it’s an easy crossing even when it’s flowing properly. Of course we had no rain for 9 weeks when I took that so I was impressed it was running - the source is a natural underground spring.

Last edited:
Govetts Leap is in the Blue Mountains National Park and is accessed at Blackheath - there are trails all through the mountains - the official ones are very well marked with handrails and stairs cut into them.

This walk was just to the first lookout - 1.5km down. My fitness tracker counted 31 flights of stairs climbed on the way back. My calves absolutely agreed for the next 4 days.

View attachment 18767

View attachment 18768

View attachment 18769

You cross the falls at the top about 50 metres in from the cliff edge. There are big concrete & stone blocks so that it’s an easy crossing even when it’s flowing properly. Of course we had no rain for 9 weeks when I took that so I was impressed it was running - the source is a natural underground spring.

How beautiful :happy:

View attachment 18767

View attachment 18768

View attachment 18769

We really need to go back to Australia, we have unfinished business in Sydney :happy:

Let me know if you’re coming.

I’m 3 hours out, in the western foot hills of the Blue Mountains but I would love to meet for lunch if we can work that into both our calendars.

Let me know if you’re coming.

I’m 3 hours out, in the western foot hills of the Blue Mountains but I would love to meet for lunch if we can work that into both our calendars.

The Blue Mountains are on our list of places to visit :happy:

The Blue Mountains are on our list of places to visit :happy:

I would suggest that Echo Point should be first on your list - it's the closest to Sydney. But maybe @Frizz1974 would disagree...?.

Here's my photo of one of the views from Echo Point: it's a badly developed photo, and it snowed shortly after I took it, but (take my word for it) it really is a beautiful place and well worth visiting

View from Echo Point.jpg

No I wouldn’t disagree, Echo Point & Katoomba itself are a great day trip out of Sydney.

Most visitors don’t make it further into the mountains than that but I would suggest to anyone planning a Sydney trip who enjoys a bit of walking to plan for a night or 2 stay in Katoomba or Leura instead of making it a day trip.

Those photos I posted are only 15 minutes drive further on but a totally different aspect as they look into a seperate valley. The Echo Point lookout (also commonly known as The 3 Sisters) looks out over the Jamison Valley while the Govetts Leap look outs look over the Grose Valley.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom