What 5 veggies do you use most often?

I thought christophine was a well-known vegetable, but now I realize that this is not so. Anyway, I like the taste of them, although the flavour is not very distinct. They tend to have a slightly sweetish flavour, and are nice and crunchy. I would usually slice them in medium-sized strips before cooking them, and they do cook fairly quickly. Eating them in the skin would be more nutritious, but I peel them most of the time.

What are they? Perhaps some of us may know them by a different name. Do you have a photo you could share?
I rarely peel anything that has an edible peel. In fact the only thing I can think of is maybe sweet potatoes, and I've never really considered why.

Christophines are green-coloured vegetables which are usually peeled, sliced, and steamed just like other vegetables. They can also be eaten in the skin, but I prefer to peel them. I find them to be one of the more expensive vegetables, but I have grown accustomed to using them and tend to buy them often. The picture below shows what christophines look like.

View attachment 513
Never seen our heard of them before either. What do they taste of, out of curiosity

Nevermind, lol. I should have scrolled up before I asked. These are known in French speaking parts of the world as mirliton and in Spanish speaking parts as chayote.

Here people stuff them or use them in soups, casseroles, etc. When I was a child, my grandparents grew them in the backyard. This is something I hope to return to doing this year, as today the price of them has gotten ridiculous.

Mine definitely changes seasonally, but generally speaking, I'd say

- onions
- garlic
- spinach
- tomatoes
- avocado

We try to eat seasonably - so that our produce is not only tasty, but affordable. Onions are cheap any time and obviously the easiest to use. I'm hoping to get better this year at planning a garden that lasts longer than just the peak summer months. Looking into canning and other preservation techniques, as well as "winter gardening" and a root cellar. We shall see. I definitely want to expand my fruit/veggie use and want to do so with as much fresh produce as possible.

Christophines are green-coloured vegetables which are usually peeled, sliced, and steamed just like other vegetables. They can also be eaten in the skin, but I prefer to peel them. I find them to be one of the more expensive vegetables, but I have grown accustomed to using them and tend to buy them often. The picture below shows what christophines look like.

View attachment 513

I have never heard of of seen these veggies either, but they do remind me of a pepperochini in a way. From the taste you described, it sounds as if I would like them. So you can just steam and eat them as is?

I have never heard of of seen these veggies either, but they do remind me of a pepperochini in a way. From the taste you described, it sounds as if I would like them. So you can just steam and eat them as is?

I would say christophines have a pleasant taste, and that is why I buy them so often. Yes, you can steam and eat them, but they have to be sliced up first. You can either slice them up into strips or cut them up into small bite-size pieces. They just need to be steamed for a short while, otherwise they tend to become too soft.

It is a really mild pickled pepper that you can get at grocery stores around where I live. Much milder than a jalepeno and gives dishes lots of good peppery flavor.
I tried to upload a picture, but it is not working right now.

The 5 vegetables that I usually used everyday for eating and cooking are:

1. Onions
2. Carrots
3. Red bell pepper
4. Lettuce
5. Spinach

Christophines is a well known vegetables in my native country. My mother eats this everyday by steam it or by just sauteing it with garlic, onion and tomatoes and a little bit of fish sauce only.. She said it is good and it do wonders for her health. Just sharing additional infos about this kind of vegetables.

Here are two of the ways mirliton/christophine/chayote is prepared here:

Shrimp and mirliton casserole
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/shrimp-and-mirliton-casserole-recipe.html
emsp47_casserole.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg

Stuffed mirliton
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/stuffed-mirliton-from-treme-cookbook.html
080813-261668-cook-the-book-stuffed-mirliton-thumb-625xauto-343969.jpg

Here are two of the ways mirliton/christophine/chayote is prepared here

These 2 dishes look very lovely. I have never thought of stuffing christophine/cayote before, but this is now giving me some ideas of how it can be used differently. The only way I have ever eaten christophine is steamed along with other vegetables.

These 2 dishes look very lovely. I have never thought of stuffing christophine/cayote before, but this is now giving me some ideas of how it can be used differently. The only way I have ever eaten christophine is steamed along with other vegetables.

That's funny, as recently I have been thinking of having that way and in simpler dishes like vegetable saute. When you cook it your way, do you boil it first or do you just cut it and cook it? Most people here boil them and I have never heard of anyone ever steaming them. I'm not big on boiling so I am curious now to try them steamed.

That's funny, as recently I have been thinking of having that way and in simpler dishes like vegetable saute. When you cook it your way, do you boil it first or do you just cut it and cook it? Most people here boil them and I have never heard of anyone ever steaming them. I'm not big on boiling so I am curious now to try them steamed.

I just peel the christophines, slice them in elongated pieces and put them to steam. I have never boiled them before. They do not take very long to steam either.

I just peel the christophines, slice them in elongated pieces and put them to steam. I have never boiled them before. They do not take very long to steam either.

I am definitely going to have to try that. My grandparents grew them when I was a child and I've been wanting to grow them myself. I read last year it's perennial and you can even grow the plant indoors! If I peel them as opposed to boiling them, I could probably save the seed from a couple and get my own vines started.

I love veggies in general. I don't eat a whole lot of fruits so I try my best to get nutrients from veggies. My favorite veggies are Eggplant, Broccoli, Arugula, Tomato and Carrots! But I do eat several other types, I even love veggies nobody seems to like!

Back
Top Bottom