What are the basic skills that aspiring cooks should learn?

Two things I got taught early on which stick with me:
1) taste, taste, taste, and not just at the end
2) clean up after yourself as you go

In addition to all the great points already raised, and a few (*cough* many) years later I'd say don't be afraid of salt, read the recipe twice, and don't be afraid to give something a go
These are great tips that I'm stunned more professional chefs don't always do (at least judging by what I see on cooking shows). The clean up part is something I always try to do since it keeps the workspace clear and reminds me that I've already added that ingredient. I don't expect the pros to do that, but I frequently see the pros not taste their food and not salt properly. BTW, salt can also be introduced using other sources, such as soy sauce, fish sauce, and other salty things (like cheese and anchovies).

I would also suggest doing research to get ideas for a prospective recipe. If I want to make something with an ingredient I've never used, or if I want to do a preparation I've never done before, I look at a lot of different recipes. Patterns usually start to emerge with how the ingredients go together, and there's a reason for that: it's because some combinations just work better than others. I am always intrigued when someone tries something that I don't see anyone else doing. This could be a complete disaster, or it could be a stroke of genius.

I do sometimes seem to just wing it, but when I think about it I'm not really winging it: I'm using my experience with how things go together to map out how ingredients come together. I have made so many soups and chilis that I know exactly how they start out, so adding new elements is a relatively small step. But, the question was for aspiring cooks, and not cooks who think they know everything already. :laugh:

Last edited:
Two more, in the way of advice as opposed to learning a skill:

1. Always get a bigger mixing bowl than you think you need

2. Always cut the kitchen twine longer than you think you need

My first tip is to enjoy yourself. Try not to stress out, as home cooking should be fun and not some exercise in mental or physical anguish.

If you're a beginner, start with dishes that you've loved to eat in the past. That way... you know what you're aiming for and it doesn't take long to replicate flavours you love providing you can access the ingredients you need.

Leave plenty of time, nothing kills joy more then being on a tight schedule, particularly when learning new skills. Cook a dish for yourself first, before trying it out on that dinner party for six and totally putting yourself under that sort of pressure. Wait till you have nailed it, then enjoy showing off in front of friends or family as you prepare and serve up your masterpiece confident in your timings and outcomes.

But above all, enjoy yourself... even in failing, as every episode in the kitchen is a learning experience you add to your arsenal of knowledge.

I say don't be afraid to try new things, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Inevitable disasters are the hallmark of an inventive cook. (IMO)

Another skill my wife wishes I would learn:

Don't put it in the dirty dishes until the prep is done.

She gets annoyed at how it takes me 16 forks to make scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast. :laugh:

Anyway, I'd add this 3-hour-and-18-minute video as essential to a learning cook's viewing:

View: https://youtu.be/CshkecuFfMc

It's Jacques Pepin demonstrating technique after technique after technique; everything from how to tie your apron (yes, there's a way to do that, and a reason behind it), to deboning a chicken, to clarifying consommé, and a hundred other things.

What is obvious is that everything comes from having trained his entire life in restaurants - everything is done in the most efficient way possible. Even trimming a potato, there's a way to do it that, applied over a hundred pounds of potatoes, is a great timesaver.

Honestly, I have the attention span of a gnat, and I've watched this twice in the last month, and the time just flies by. He's a natural teacher, and I think he's inspired me to serve my food with butter roses. :)

Back
Top Bottom