What are the basic skills that aspiring cooks should learn?

Also, pick a few basic recipes, things that are easy (and easy to remember, so you can skip following a recipe eventually), and get those mastered.

Things like baking a basic white loaf, making an herbed omelet, making an all-purpose red sauce, stovetop macaroni-and-cheese, meatloaf, chili, roasting a chicken. None of those are hard, but they're all really satisfying.

Beside reguiar basic knife skills, some ingredients require special knife skills. Fish as an example, learning to filet and skin and knowing the correct way based on a particular species are very important.

Filleting is a special skill, I'm guessing you have it, I'm ok but leave too much flesh on the bones.
Sharp Flexi knife is your friend.

Russ

Filleting is a special skill, I'm guessing you have it, I'm ok but leave too much flesh on the bones.
Sharp Flexi knife is your friend.

Russ

With all the fish we've shot, it was a necessity. I'm self taught, so I know about leaving too much flesh on the bones. It was a learning curve. Sharp knives are a must!

They should get to know the basic fundamentals of working in the kitchen & start off making simple things.

I agree with you, but this made me laugh as it reminded me of when I first started keeping emerald tree boas. Folks on forums kept telling me to start with another species of tree boa for practice. I kept telling them that I wasn't interested in another species. I had kept many species of snakes previously in my late teens and early twenties, including venomous, both native and non-native. Most of these folks changed their minds after seeing how successful we were at keeping and breeding the emeralds.

I guess i got basic cooking skills from my mother. But then I wanted to make yeast bread, which she never did. I wanted to make cream puffs, so I made pate a choux. I wanted to make Baked Alaska, so i did. I wanted to make a Dobosh torte, so I did. Etc., you get the point. This was all WAY before there were cooking shows, You Tube, etc., so all I had was cookbooks. If you aren't interested in something, you aren't going to be invested in making it.

I agree with you, but this made me laugh as it reminded me of when I first started keeping emerald tree boas. Folks on forums kept telling me to start with another species of tree boa for practice. I kept telling them that I wasn't interested in another species. I had kept many species of snakes previously in my late teens and early twenties, including venomous, both native and non-native. Most of these folks changed their minds after seeing how successful we were at keeping and breeding the emeralds.

Is it poss to start off topic on those snakes, I know I can giggle but I prefer personal knowledge. I know absolutely zero , well I know they are cold blooded, that's all, we don't have any here, only the ones in parliament,lol.

Back
Top Bottom