What are you cooking on Christmas Day?

Ellie

Über Member
Local time
12:15 AM
Do you know yet what you are cooking on Christmas day?
Is it for Christmas lunch or evening meal?

I posted in another thread that I'd be doing everything except the meat (and gravy) so for me it is the starter, mine, my sister and my boyfriends meal, the veg and Christmas pudding plus serving the cake with Wensleydale cheese and white Stilton with apricots.

My mum will supervise the cooking of their bacon covered goose. They don't eat turkey for some reason.

Oops, I forgot to add that my boyfriend and I and my sister are all having a spicy caramelized red onion & aubergine filled cannelloni with a tomatoe sauce. I usually add a cashew nut based white sauce with vegan cheese to it for contrast but I saw one made from cauliflower and thought I would try that instead this year. adding the Christmas day veg to that makes a great meal.

Aldi Frozen turkey - cheapest I can find! I'm going to inject it with butter using a syringe and use lots of thyme, garlic and bacon. I will take a photo if I can ...
Roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots, roast parsnips, bread sauce, giblet gravy, cranberry sauce (already made). Stuffing - probably chestnut based.
Some kind of vegetable bake for my daughter.

I haven't decided on the starter yet, probably smoked salmon.

Fresh turkey from Tesco. Homemade stuffing. Pigs in blankets. Roast potatoes. Roast parsnips. Various other vegetables. Gravy. Bread sauce.

Mince pies and or Christmas pudding with custard, cream and or brandy butter.

Cheeses, fruit and or nuts.

Mr K will be serving appropriate drinks for each course.

I haven't decided on the starter yet, probably smoked salmon.

Fresh turkey from Tesco. Homemade stuffing. Pigs in blankets. Roast potatoes. Roast parsnips. Various other vegetables. Gravy. Bread sauce.

Mince pies and or Christmas pudding with custard, cream and or brandy butter.

Cheeses, fruit and or nuts.

Mr K will be serving appropriate drinks for each course.

No sprouts? or is that included in various other vegetables? :)

We don't do a starter as the main course is so filling that we all like to save ourselves! Smoked salmon is always good, though.

Well as usual I have been asked to cook the jug-jug. Jug-jug is a national dish here that is cooked every Christmas day in most homes. It is hardly ever done outside of the Christmas season. I said I have been asked to cook the jug-jug since there is usually a family gathering at another relative's home, so each person is asked to prepare a special dish to bring. Jug-jug is made up mostly of pigeon peas which are cooked until tender and then crushed. Lots of seasonings go into the preparation of this dish. Bits of ham are also added to the pot while the peas are cooking, and butter is added near the end after the peas have been cooked and processed.

I'll be cooking Laksa Lemak from the Demuth's cookbook

Laksa Lemak is a Malay coconut and noodle soup from Malacca. It’s a meal in itself; very rich and spicy and best served in deep bowls with chopsticks and a spoon to slurp up the coconut broth.

I'll write up my changes to the recipe as and when but I'm looking forward to being able to use more authentic ingredients this year!

Sadly I don't think the lemon grass I have growing in the garden will be ready in time :(

Last edited:
For breakfast we will have a brunch muffin - a homemade pork and bacon pattie in a muffin with cheese. Lunch is smoked duck breast on a caesar salad then in the evening a forerib of beef, red wine gravy and the usual veg followed by a marmalade pastry and vanilla cream.

The morning walk (our tradition) will be followed by a rum punch (also our tradition), lunch will be accompanied by some grown up fizzy drink and there is a bottle of very good Lebanese red to go with the beef, oh and a sticky wine to sip with the pud.

Last edited:
For breakfast we will have a brunch muffin - a homemade pork and bacon pattie in a muffin with cheese. Lunch is smoked duck breast on a caesar salad then in the evening a forerib of beef, red wine gravy and the usual veg followed by a marmalade pastry and vanilla cream.

The morning walk (our tradition) will be followed by a rum punch (also our tradition), lunch will be accompanied by some grown up fizzy drink and there is a bottle of very good Lebonese red to go with the beef, oh and a sticky wine to sip with the pud.
Blimey...if I ate that breakfast I doubt I'd be able to do lunch at all...and possibly not dinner either!

Blimey...if I ate that breakfast I doubt I'd be able to do lunch at all...and possibly not dinner either!
It's quite a small pattie, imagine the size of a basic 99p MaccieD burger, but full of porkie flavour in a normal sized muffin. Actually much lighter than a fried breakfast that many will be having, besides it will get burnt off on the walk that follows.

Last year it was barbecued squid. I think we'll forgo that this year.
bbqd squid.jpg

It looks like chateaubriand with jacket potatoes and other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom