What Are You Reading?

Nicely written šŸ‘

Ah yes these things are not widely known or accepted and Iā€™d say most arenā€™t aware of how powerful or how underhand the food industry is. If you started to try and explain that book to a lot of folk theyā€™d switch off and likely think you were heading down the conspiracy nut route šŸ˜†

It is quite horrifying, it must have been overwhelming to read it all in one hit in one book?!!

Have you seen ā€œThat Sugar Filmā€ it probably looks a bit out of date now but itā€˜s worth a watch.

Personally I think all these revelation just reinforce something we all know deep down already, making food yourself and eating a balanced diet is better for you.
But Iā€™d chuck on top of that, read the labels on packets, something that looks like a simple hunk of chicken or ham for example can still be full of cr*p.
I haven't heard about "The Sugar Film", thank you for mentioning! I really liked "Supersized Me", I'll check out that one.

The book was really shocking and made me cry a little at times. Something that was made to feed you and nourish has been perverted into something that is simply meant to make a profit.

I do feel like a conspiracy theorist some times talking about these things...but I think it makes sense if you think about the business model. These companies make money by selling food, so of course they make food that will make you overeat, so that you keep buying it. Most companies are profit driven and want to make money and making money is fine. But making money by overfeeding people comes with an entire load of moral problems.

I haven't heard about "The Sugar Film", thank you for mentioning! I really liked "Supersized Me", I'll check out that one.

The book was really shocking and made me cry a little at times. Something that was made to feed you and nourish has been perverted into something that is simply meant to make a profit.

I do feel like a conspiracy theorist some times talking about these things...but I think it makes sense if you think about the business model. These companies make money by selling food, so of course they make food that will make you overeat, so that you keep buying it. Most companies are profit driven and want to make money and making money is fine. But making money by overfeeding people comes with an entire load of moral problems.
When you start reading about the tactics of corporations to SELL MORE itā€™s quite hard to believe, itā€™s akin to pharmaceutical companies that push drugs they know donā€™t work, or worse harm people.

Greed is a terrible motivator and the people who enter into that world that can tolerate or thrive in a serious corporate environment are not exactly empathic.
A lot of the top dogs exhibit psychopathic or sociopathic tendencies, they have to to get to that position. Iā€™d suggest googling it apart from the books sounds sad enough without adding that into the mix šŸ˜†
Leadership from people who donā€™t care about their fellow man never leads anywhere good.

We can at least educate ourselves to make better choices so thatā€™s something šŸ˜Š

ā€™That Sugar Filmā€™ does contain the usual completely unscientific approach of one person changing their diet but apart from entertainment it manages to be informative.

Last edited:
I finished this book today!
IMG_8861.jpeg

I joke, of course. I actually bought it for my best friendā€™s newborn. It was one of my favourite books as a kid, so it was fun to read it again and remember all the pages.

Iā€™m reading through The House of Whispers, by William Le Queux, written in 1909.

Itā€™s interesting enough, one of those typical upper crust aristocracy mystery-meets-romance-novel, but the author is heavily dependent on giving each character a secret, and not letting the reader in on those secrets, so there are many passages that follow this form (these are my words, just by way of example):

ā€œIā€™m off to London, dearest, to attend to that matter of great importance which weā€™d discussed just this morning!ā€

ā€œOh, you mean that important matter of yours, that will surely lead to your ridicule and downfall, should it ever be exposed?!ā€

ā€œYes, darling! The very same one! Now you understand how important it is that I deal with this great matterā€¦of importance!ā€

With that, Lord Softbottom exited hastily, his mind occupied with the task before him. He knew he mustā€¦must address that which concerned him more than anything else, except perhaps, his undying affection and friendship for Lady Softbottom, and yet, to keep that special friendship between them alive, he knew it paramount that he succeed in silencing those who would do him harm, and by extension, his family harm, for how could his wife love a man whoā€™s darkest secrets were made public and bandied about like fuel for a horrific bonfireā€¦of shame?!

šŸ˜’

Every character has something like this going on, with page after page of this tortuous inner monologue going on. Iā€™m mainly reading it now just to find out the various secrets, because usually, aristocratic secrets are ridiculously stupid, like someoneā€™s great aunt once kissed the stable boy, or the family fortune was earned not on service to King James 500 years ago, but by their forebears being turnip farmers.

Back
Top Bottom