What Are You Reading?

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
3:16 PM
As a baby in diapers Mother would sit me on her lap while she read her news paper out loud to me. She would run her finger under the words as she read. Dad read everything including dictionaries and encyclopedias. Reading has been a major part of my life for as long as I can remember. I always have a book with me. G had a n appointment with his Cardiologist yesterday. I brought a book not knowing if or how long we would have to wait. That is how I roll.
I have recently read:
The Warsaw Orphan by Kelly Rimmer 3 out of 5
Two Rivers by T. Greenwood 3 out of 5
Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens 4 out of 5 I will follow Ms. Owens and read what she publishes.
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman 5 out of 5 Backman is on my follow list. I have read 4 of his novels and will read anything he publishes.
A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles 10 out of 5 - the best novel I have read in a very long time. I am half way through the book and can not put it down. I am captivated by Mr. Towles writing. He has a previous novel - Rules of Civility - on order. I will follow his work.
My next read is non-fiction - The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray
SOOO what are you reading and what is on your watch list?

I haven't read a book in a while, as I have been 100% converted to audio books. Some days, putting on an audio book is the only way to lull myself to sleep. Recent "reads" include:
  • The [entire] Wheel of Time series (so excited that it is being filmed now!)
  • Dune (had to catch up before the movie comes out)
  • Ready Player Two (loved it!)
Also, perennial favorites in my library include "YouTube Secrets", "Unfu*k Yourself" (which is a humorous self-help type of book), and finally "And a Bottle of Rum"

Cooking-related, I have The Food Lab by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt around which I did in to now and then for some new tidbits.

On the fiction front I am re-reading the Dan Simmons hard Sci-Fi Hyperion series and am now on the second book 'The Fall Of Hyperion'.

Maybe I should try this again... as a Tolkien fan, I'd read that this would be a great series to try, but I just couldn't get into his writing style.
Books 1-3 were great, from 4-8 they had some slow bits, and the last 3 books were finished with assistance of Brandon Sanderson (when original Author Robert Jordan passed away) so it almost felt rejuvenated. However, I do get what you mean, some of his writing style was repetitive and eye-roll inducing, especially the gender/politics tropes.

I am no longer reading it, but a while ago I finished "How fascism works" by Jason Stanley.

My interests are books about politics and history. Novels, I admit, are not of my interest.

Who can recommend good books on these subjects? Since there are many Americans here probably, anything about the 1929 crash and the Great Depression.

I literally just ordered this and brought it inside (Thanks Amazon!)

I felt this book paid for itself just in showing me how to make a proper hamburger at home. All my previous attempts were hopeless and now I can make one as good (or better) than one I can buy in a restaurant. But it's filled with useful gems backed by science and explains a lot of things which I myself always asked 'why?'.

As far as cooking things go, my latest books are The Flavor Equation, which does a deep dive into different elements of flavor

I'll try to find that. Have you come across the The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit? I'd recommend this to anyone seriously interested in cooking. Also, its a very witty book.

Rising Tide by Morgan Greene, a Jamie Johansson crime thriller. We meet the main characters in Angel Maker, this is a different investigation but there is a cross over from the last book. These aren't my normal read but I am enjoying them.

Cooking-related, I have The Food Lab by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt around which I did in to now and then for some new tidbits.
I have The Food Lab and an assortment of other cook books. They are my reference library, not my reading library. Since my first post I have finished A Gentleman in Moscow and started The Personal Librarian. I am 46 pages in and my interest is being held. I am looking forward to reading Rules of Civility by Amor Towle - author of A Gentleman in Moscow.
I like audio books for drive time. I am a die hard book lover. I love the weight and feel of a book in my hand.

I've read these two books so far
1642504878913.png

1642504901179.png

I'm on my 3rd book now. ElizabethB what did you think of it? I started reading it years ago but stopped halfway through, I liked the writing but find the plot a bit lacking. I have to admit I'm enjoying it better now. Maybe I'll finish it this time.
1642504959846.png

Back
Top Bottom