What Are You Reading?

I'm on my 3rd book now. @ElizabethB what did you think of it? I started reading it years ago but stopped halfway through, I liked the writing but find the plot a bit lacking. I have to admit I'm enjoying it better now. Maybe I'll finish it this time.
1642504959846-png.png
Loved it! Could not believe that Towles has never been to Moscow. What I really enjoyed was the unexpected twists and turns.

I heard about the book. On my bucket list.
I really liked it, so n large part because he appears to be very open regarding his relations with his family, and they're not always pleasant, nor do they paint him in a very good light.

Where he shines, though, is that this isn't a confessional, but just a collection of his magazine writings, and bits and pieces are revealed here and there.

After reading it, I'm not sure that I'd like him if I knew him, but he's a very talented writer and very hard to put down.

I read books like mad, about 7 a week. And I read cookbooks like novels. I just started in my Christmas gift, Larousse Gastronomique.
And I am reading 'Geisha, a life' by Mineko Iwasaki on the side. I love auto biographies and true stories.

Geisha, a Life

What genre? Based on the title I would guess murder mystery/ detective novel.
Correct, it's a murder mystery. The writing is really witty and humorous but I'm struggling with some of the language, the author uses the old spelling of some words (like "reelly") instead of "really"), along with words that have fallen out of use. Otherwise the story is really interesting (the corpse of an unknown person is found on someone's bath).

I read books like mad, about 7 a week. And I read cookbooks like novels. I just started in my Christmas gift, Larousse Gastronomique.
And I am reading 'Geisha, a life' by Mineko Iwasaki on the side. I love auto biographies and true stories.

Geisha, a Life
View attachment 79912
I initially thought I had read the book, but I saw the movie Memoirs of a Geisha. Arthur Golden, author of the novel, credits Mineko as his inspiration. She was not at all happy with his novel. I want to read her book.

I initially thought I had read the book, but I saw the movie Memoirs of a Geisha. Arthur Golden, author of the novel, credits Mineko as his inspiration. She was not at all happy with his novel. I want to read her book.
This IS mineko's book. I love it 😊👍

Memoirs of a Geisha is Arthur Goldens book.

I just finished Texas and working on Alaska - both by James Michner. I read both decades ago. Long enough to appreciate Michner's research and the inclusion of historical events and people in a novel.

Blimey! That is a lot indeed and I'm seriously impressed. Are you a speed reader or something? How many hours per day are you reading?
Yes, I am a speed reader. And I remember what I read too, I was tested for it when I worked in rail traffic control.

I read about 5 hours a day. Sometimes all day. I'm easily obsessed by a story. My greatest regret is not being able to go to university due to health issues. I love studying

Back
Top Bottom