What Are You Reading?

I saw the author being interviewed on UK TV on Sunday about this book. He was very interesting and I think he is definitely onto something with this book.
Well, that seals the deal, I've just purchased it and will probably start listening to it by the weekend.
I love Audiobooks, so convenient!

Now I'm reading this one which is really fascinating. A book about death rituals around the world. Some of them are cringeworthy by our western standards (like people from an island in Indonesia who mummify corpses and hang out with the deceased at home many years after their death), but some are lovely (like Dia de los Muertos in Mexico). Really interesting.
View attachment 82008
That sounds very interesting. I have heard of ancient civilizations that ate the brains and or heart of deceased loved ones.
Slightly off topic, who uses book marks and who turns the corner of the page?
Bookmarks
Listening to some classic Sci-Fi: Rendezvous with Rama
View attachment 82050

My sister's mother in law suggested a non-fiction which I think I will look at next: Stolen Focus by Johann Hari - a look into the diminishing attention span of today's modern society. Since last year, I have become convinced more than ever that I have ADHD but have never been professionally diagnosed, so the concept of this book appeals to me.
I need to read this one. George is undiagnosed ADD. He is not hyper but he is seriously attention deficit.

I'm now reading this one
1646840845402.png

America Unchained, Dave Gorman. Only the 1st chapter so far but a big fan of his so looking forward to really getting into it.

Niel Young..Waging Heavy Peace..one of my daughters bought it for me a couple of years ago..I started it, then put it aside..
I have that and read it years ago. I’m on a musician’s forum, and several people had gotten it for Christmas that year, same as me, and were discussing it, dissecting it this way and that, trying to get into Young’s head a little.

The one who summarized the book the best made this single comment, and I’ve never forgotten it:

“After reading that, it’s evident Neil has much better pot than I do.”

:laugh:

Yeah. He says he quit a while ago. But it
probably shaped his outlook on life. He is still very Canadian in his matter of factness, even though he moved to the US in his 20’s. He talks like a regular dude. My brother is a production tech and has worked with most big names multiple times. He did a three night stint with Neil in Toronto and said Neil showed up every night with the same clothes on. Plaid shirt and jeans.

I was recently told of this new series about to be aired on UK TV:

AV Club
"Slow Horses doesn’t reinvent the spy thriller because the spy thriller doesn’t need reinventing. Based on author Mick Herron’s award-winning crime novels, Apple TV Plus’ no-nonsense espionage drama—streaming two episodes on April 1, then weekly after that—gets back to basics with a six-episode kidnapping conspiracy that’s played straight and never lets up.
Instead of distracting with high-tech gadgets, CGI-laden chase sequences, and/or inexplicable cocktail parties, Slow Horses relies on tried-and-true tension-builders to get the job done. If you want an excellent slow-burn surveillance mystery delivered point-blank, this is it. It’s produced well, written better, and manages to maintain that one-two punch throughout.
Gary Oldman stars as Jackson Lamb, a cynical intelligence agent tasked with overseeing the ragtag crew of Slough House, an administrative purgatory where MI5 rejects are left to languish. Enter River Cartwright, played by an exquisitely cast Jack Lowden, who’s stuck there after botching a critical training mission that left dozens “dead” and hundreds more “injured.” This surprisingly public debacle is made only more embarrassing by the shadow of River’s retired spy grandfather David Cartwright (a sparingly used Jonathan Pryce) whose legendary track record precedes even his grandson’s famed failure."

I've downloaded four of Mike Herron's books but I've been reluctant to read the one (Slough House) upon which this series appears to have been based (I can never figure which is better - to read the book first or watch the film/series first). Anyway, I'm reading "Dolphin Junction" which is a collection of short stories which are holding my interest.

I have been packing books to donate to Friends of the Library. They hold a book sale twice a year to benifit the library. I had to pull and read again Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks. A book of short stories A typewriter is at least mentioned in each story. Maybe just a mention - a typewriter sat on the shelf - or a typewriter was an integral part of the story. Tom Hanks is a very good author of short stories.
Three other grabs from my donate pile for a second read - Where The Red Fern Grows, Hidden Figures and Where The Crawdads Sing.
Some books desere to be read more than once.

Back
Top Bottom