What are your favourite types of Eggs?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:41 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I am fortunate enough to have a landlady who has 2 female ducks, both of whom are laying 1 or 2 eggs each a day at the moment so I have a really good supply of fresh ducks eggs which I love. My OH is exceptionally good with eating anything I put in front of him, though at first he was a touch unsure about duck eggs and won't eat them hard or soft boiled because he finds them a touch bland. We have just been given 15 ducks eggs today, all laid in the last 3-4 days.

I am also exceptionally lucky that we have some friends with a farm where we go on holiday and we have an unlimited supply of free range hens eggs available to us when we stay with them (like next week :hungry:) . Their hens eggs are really tasty eggs with wonderful golden yolks and we often get double yolkers as well.

When I lived in the south of England we had a friend who had bantam's (a small type of hen which lays very small but again very tasty eggs).

My parents however won't for some reason touch ducks eggs or any egg they have not purchased from a supermarket.

So this got me wondering. I have had quails, pheasants (don't ask we used to have some), and various other types of eggs in the past, including some blue shelled eggs I have on the shelf at the moment, but I was wondering how many other people would happily eat any egg, or if you only eat hens eggs?

I only eat hen's eggs but that's mainly because they are the ones most readily available and for the best price. I definitely wouldn't mind trying another type of egg... I think I'd enjoy them and even if I wouldn't, it would still be a new culinary experience.

I like fresh, organic, free-range eggs. My mom had a friend with a small farm. We would buy eggs from her and they were delicious. They yolks looked healthier and the eggs weren't huge like the hormone eggs you buy in stores.

I've had organic eggs before and they were amazing, so those are my favorite. Unfortunately, I don't have access to them anymore, so I just buy the regular eggs from the supermarket. You can definitely tell the difference between the two-- the organic eggs just tasted so much better.

I'm Asian, so, I think to most Westerners it isn't so much the species that laid the egg that's strange so much as what we do with it.

Century egg is a way to jelly the egg so that the whites turn into a translucent brown like coffee jelly, and the yolk--hard-boiled texture--turns dark as well. It's made with mud teas, or maybe just mud, buried for a hundred days... or something, I don't really know, I just scarf it down whenever I see it.

There are also salted duck eggs that go great in a lotus-seed cream filled moon cake!

You probably do not want to know about balut. I personally think that meat is meat, and it's delicious and complex and snack-sized because it's an egg.

Back on topic, I have seen ostritch eggs at the grocery, and I'm curious about them, but they're expensive. I've eaten quail eggs. I'd probably eat reptile eggs just to try it.

Ducks eggs to me are ok if they reach a high enough temperature, ie cakes, baking as u have been bought up on the wave that a duck has no resistance to salmonella , I've had pluvers eggs fried, quails eggs poached, still hanker after butter fried fresh bantam eggs,
Had the experience of balut eggs ,nasty never again

Had the experience of balut eggs ,nasty never again

It's only gross if you think about it and know what it is :wink: Otherwise, it's not much more morbid than a jelly baby, covered in egg yolk and egg white that's turning into white meat. And there's broth. Just needs a pinch of salt and pepper.

...and ignore the feathers.

Okay, even I have to admit that the fetal feathers are annoying and gross.

I actually like quail eggs a bit more over chicken eggs, though I probably would never be able to know the difference if they were presented to me scrambled in the same amount. I do like eating them more when eating boiled eggs, though, and we even have a traditional dish here of frying hard boiled quail eggs in batter.

I really like organic rainbow eggs. They're all different colors, pale pink, light mint green etc. I have only ever seen them at certain farmers markets and they are significantly more than other eggs (almost $10 for a dozen) but they made the best scrambled eggs I have ever had.

Back
Top Bottom