What are your top 10 Spices?

I don't have 10 spices that I use regularly.
I do have about 10 different seasonings.
1. Garlic (minced or granulated)
2. Onion (chopped or granulated)
3. Dried Green bell peppers
4. Celery Flakes
5. Dried Red bell peppers
6. Cinnamon
7. Parsley
8. Sage
9. Poultry seasoning
10. Saffron

I don't have 10 spices that I use regularly.
I do have about 10 different seasonings.
1. Garlic (minced or granulated)
2. Onion (chopped or granulated)
3. Dried Green bell peppers
4. Celery Flakes
5. Dried Red bell peppers
6. Cinnamon
7. Parsley
8. Sage
9. Poultry seasoning
10. Saffron

Parsley and Sage are not spices. I have no idea on dried green or red bell peppers. I guess given the definition of a herb (leafy green part of a plant) they are probably counted as a spice, but on this side of the pond (oopss.. I have moved... Mind you I don't think I have seen them here either), the simply don't exist. Celery flakes could be counted as a herb as well if it is the leaf rather than the stem, but I would have to double check on that one.

Spices are distinguished from herbs, which are parts of leafy green plants used for flavouring or as a garnish

Parsley and Sage are not spices. I have no idea on dried green or red bell peppers. I guess given the definition of a herb (leafy green part of a plant) they are probably counted as a spice, but on this side of the pond (oopss.. I have moved... Mind you I don't think I have seen them here either), the simply don't exist. Celery flakes could be counted as a herb as well if it is the leaf rather than the stem, but I would have to double check on that one.

Remember that in the US, the word 'spices' tends to be used as a portmanteau word for herbs and spices. There was a thread about this before somewhere. Its incorrect but is widely used. Its certainly the case that we don't have dried red or green bell pepper in the UK. I'd be interested to know how they are used.

That is why I said I DON'T have 10 spices. I have 10 seasonings.
So you wouldn't correct though I figured you couldn't resist.
Oh and just for fun, every one of the ingredients I listed are found on the SPICE aisle in all grocery stores here in the US.
The peppers and the celery are dehydrated vegetables used as a seasoning.

That is why I said I DON'T have 10 spices. I have 10 seasonings.
So you wouldn't correct though I figured you couldn't resist.
Oh and just for fun, every one of the ingredients I listed are found on the SPICE aisle in all grocery stores here in the US.
The peppers and the celery are dehydrated vegetables used as a seasoning.
There is a thread for herbs and spices somewhere. this one was solely for spices. I don't think anyone has started one for solely herbs....
What do you put the dried peppers and celery on as a seasoning then? Just curious. Its one that several of us have never come across.

Well just for spices, I only really use on a regular basis would be
1.Cinnamon
2.Nutmeg
3.Cardamom
4.Saffron
5. Ginger around Christmas.

Well just for spices, I only really use on a regular basis would be
1.Cinnamon
2.Nutmeg
3.Cardamom
4.Saffron
5. Ginger around Christmas.
Interesting that cinnamon and nutmeg are top. What are you (mainly) using them for? I'm guessing sweet things...

Back
Top Bottom