What are your top 10 Spices?

Pepper is on the top of my list because salt is technically a rock but it's really high up on my list of seasonings.

Basil and oregano are my third and fourth choice and in order these are my other choice spices: garlic powder, chili flakes, curry powder, rosemary, thyme and cinnamon.

I use fennel seeds, star anise seeds, coriander, cloves, ginger, turmeric, garlic, chinese five spice, all spice, nutmeg, thyme, oregano

Garlic salt
Paprika
Black Pepper
White Pepper
Tumeric
Cinnamon
Clove
Dried Parsley
Curry
Ginger....And not in that order. Will probably remember something later.

cinnamon, sage, thyme. cumin, basil, pepper, salt, garlic, nutmeg, red pepper. Thee are all spices that I use regularly. I like to make chicken and chili a lot so I often use these spices. I like most spices and enjoy them. Parsley should have made the list as well, as it is something that I often spinkle on my food, and is one of my favorite spices.

Let's see. The most popular ones here in my kitchen are:

Garlic
Pepper
Cumin
Ginger
Cinnamon
Basil
Oregano

Chili Powder
Curry
Coriander

Pepper is on the top of my list because salt is technically a rock but it's really high up on my list of seasonings.

Basil and oregano are my third and fourth choice and in order these are my other choice spices: garlic powder, chili flakes, curry powder, rosemary, thyme and cinnamon.

I use fennel seeds, star anise seeds, coriander, cloves, ginger, turmeric, garlic, chinese five spice, all spice, nutmeg, thyme, oregano

In the UK, we differentiate between herbs and spices. Everything in bold above is a herb, not a spice. I haven't highlighted coriander because it can be both a herb and a spice depending on if it is fresh coriander (herb) or ground coriander (spice).

The thread below clarifies the difference between the 2.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/do-you-know-the-difference-between-a-herb-and-a-spice.5029/

In the UK, we differentiate between herbs and spices. Everything in bold above is a herb, not a spice. I haven't highlighted coriander because it can be both a herb and a spice depending on if it is fresh coriander (herb) or ground coriander (spice).

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/do-you-know-the-difference-between-a-herb-and-a-spice.5029/

I never really knew the difference! That's a good link with the way of differentiating between the two - and very simple when it's worded like that!

That is nice to know I appreciate it that I am learning new things on my stay here. I never gave much thought about the difference what I was thinking was anything that I add to the dish to give it more flavor is considered a spice. That is my own limited understanding of the term and I know that is not right.

I have never thought much about the difference between spices and herbs, I think I have been calling them all spices.

My list of spices is not long.
Cinnamon
Rosemary
Dill Weed
Garlic
Pepper

There are certain spices I use more than others. Here are my top ten.
1. Thyme
2. Oregano
3. Basil
4. Garlic
5. Curry
6. Paprika
7. Cumin
8. Cinnamon
9. Sage
10. Rosemary
I love cooking with spices. It adds so much to a meal, I even play name that spice with my kids when I make food. My 12 year old can recognize all of these spices now in my cooking.

There are certain spices I use more than others. Here are my top ten.
1. Thyme
2. Oregano
3. Basil
9. Sage
10. Rosemary
I love cooking with spices. It adds so much to a meal, I even play name that spice with my kids when I make food. My 12 year old can recognize all of these spices now in my cooking.

1. Thyme
2. Oregano
3. Basil
9. Sage
10. Rosemary

These 5 are not spices. They are herbs.

I have never thought much about the difference between spices and herbs, I think I have been calling them all spices.

My list of spices is not long.
Rosemary
Dill Weed

Again these 2 are herbs not spices because they are from leaves and are green, not from other parts of the plant. See the link above which explains it in more detail.

Cinnamon, black pepper, garlic, paprika, chili powder, Italian seasoning mix, sesame seeds. I don't eat salt, but I love salty food, so I use Morton's Salt Substitute.

This is such an awesome idea! I like this thread, it's super creative. Here are my ten favorite spices:

1. Black pepper
2. Lemon pepper
3. Cinnamon
4. Basil
5. Ginger
6. Pumpkin spice
7. Red pepper
8. Garlic
9. Onion powder
10. Dill

The 10 spices I must have in my kitchen are black peppercorns, cardamoms, cloves, coriander seeds, cumin seeds,ginger, cinnamon sticks, mustard seeds, nutmeg, and paprika. I haven't included chillis in the list as I use them fresh wherever possible, and I wouldn't call garlic a spice or salt (don't use it anyway except in bread making!)

Garlic powder
onion powder
pepper
salt
paprika
(I would say sage, thyme and rosemary but I can get those from the garden)
Anise seeds (need this and the next one for making my homemade sausage)
Fennel seed
chili powder
cumin
bay leaves

When it comes to herbs & spices, I'm pretty basic. :happy:

-Himalayan Pink Salt
-Pepper (black or rainbow medley)
-garlic powder
-Mrs.Dash (original blend & table blend)
-garlic
-crushed red peppers
-dried jalapeno peppers
-dried chili peppers

Back
Top Bottom