What book are you reading?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:34 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
What book are you reading at the moment?
It can be in any format, paper or digital...

I'll start.

I'm currently reading the 5th book in Thóra Gudmundsdóttir crime series, Someone to Watch Over Me, by an Icelandic fiction writer, Yrsa Sigurdardottir, who writes some pretty dark and disturbing novels and this one looks like it is another of her dark works.

Her books often take unexpected and unforseen twists and turns, not to mention including the fact she had her own family problems to deal with as well. They often cover the more disturbing reality of life, wrapped in with the myths and legends of Iceland as well as the grim reality of life and human nature.

This book head the description "When a residential unit for disabled people is burned down, all the residents are killed bar one. Jakob has Downs Syndrome and a grievance - he never wanted to be placed in the unit and he doesn't like it there. It seems to be an open and shut case but, because of his disability, Jakob is sent to a secure psychiatric hospital rather than prison and it looks like he'll stay there for life. At least, until one of the other inmates asks lawyer Thóra Gudmundsdóttir to try to get the case reopened..."

I'm not too far into it yet but it has already started to get really dark and I find it difficult to put down when I pick it up. Sadly I am not a very fast reader but I am already enjoying the book.

That sounds like a book I'd really enjoy. I'll have to add it to my "To Read" list. Unfortunately, I cannot read fast enough to even make a dent in my ever-growing list!

I'm currently reading, in paperback form, I'm reading "The Weight of Silence" by Heather Gudenkauf. It is about two little girls (best friends) who go missing early one morning; one is selectively mute after a tragic event earlier in her life. So far it's one of those books that I keep reading because I want to see what happens, but I'm not completely drawn to it. I know why that is: each chapter is told from a different character's point of view. This isn't always a big deal to me, but these chapters are short so there is a lot of jumping around and I find myself having to flip back to remember which character is which. I am nearing the end so I'm anxious to see if there's going to be a big twist, I feel as though it might be leading into one.

I'm currently reading the Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton. Its about doping in cycling. It actually came out before the whole lance Armstrong staged managed confession and it revealed so much behind the scenes information that even the most ardent Lance Armstrong fan could no longer be convinced of his innocence. As a cycling fan myself, I was shocked at how much doping prevailed in the peloton during those dark years of the late 90s/early noughties. I remember one particular story he tells about people they'd hired to deliver blood to them in their overnight hotels during the actual Tour de France race. there are secret mobile phones, late night rendezvous and all sorts.

Wouldn't be out of place in a spy thriller!

For a change I am reading fiction.

I have just finished Arthur C Clarke '3001' and started his 'Hammer Of God'.

I am also reading The metal Fabricator's Hand Book.

I'm currently reading the Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton. Its about doping in cycling. It actually came out before the whole lance Armstrong staged managed confession and it revealed so much behind the scenes information that even the most ardent Lance Armstrong fan could no longer be convinced of his innocence. As a cycling fan myself, I was shocked at how much doping prevailed in the peloton during those dark years of the late 90s/early noughties. I remember one particular story he tells about people they'd hired to deliver blood to them in their overnight hotels during the actual Tour de France race. there are secret mobile phones, late night rendezvous and all sorts.

Wouldn't be out of place in a spy thriller!
A very interesting read ,I read it before the Armstrong saga came out,I still say it was his downfall

Back
Top Bottom